Tim JA
Tim JA, Customer Service
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

We have a new Zanussi Gas hob where all burners will light

Customer Question

Hi, We have a new Zanussi Gas hob where all burners will light for myself but no matter what my partner does, none of them will stay lit for her despite her doing everything exactly as I have shown her. She now refuses to use the hob so any advice, please.
JA: Is your Zanussi hob gas or electric?
Customer: Gas
JA: How long has this been going on with your Zanussi hob? What have you tried so far?
Customer: This has been since the hob was installed.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't understand how it will only work for myself
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: Why it works perfectly for me but not for her
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tim JA replied 17 days ago.

Good evening, and welcome to the Technical section in Just Answer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear of your hob problem.

There can be strange behaviour if the appliance isn't properly earthed. Who installed it?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
It was installed by a gas safe registered fitter. I have just discovered that my daughter also has the same problem and she has to get her husband to light the hob as it works every time for him but never for her.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
please
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Is there a problem trying to call me?
Expert:  Tim JA replied 17 days ago.

Your daughter has the same problem in your house, or in her own house?

Expert:  Tim JA replied 17 days ago.

Regarding the phone call, the offer is made automatically by the Just Answer system without me even knowing about it.  If an Expert is available to call you then they will, but I'm not available to phone tonight.  In the meantime we can continue here on the Q&A topic.  If you don't receive a call you can request a refund of the fee.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
It’s in her own home which is 200 miles from me
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Are you able to continue or should I call back tomorrow?
Expert:  Tim JA replied 17 days ago.

OK.  I think we have to put your daughter's hob problem aside for now, because even if it's exactly the same symptom AND exactly the same cause, she's not available for fault-finding at the moment.  Or is it exactly the same make and model, potentially from the same batch?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
It’s a different make and model but it came up in the conversation with her that she has the same problem
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Mine is a Zanussi ZGH62414XS bought from Wickes on the 2/4/22
Expert:  Tim JA replied 17 days ago.

OK, so if it turns out that yours is faulty then you're within the period were Wickes is responsible, which makes things easy.  I would put Wickes on notice that you might be doing this.  In the meantime....,

I suspect the Gas Safe registered engineer made an assumption that the electrical supply to the hob was fault-free.  Do you know how it's electrically connected?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I do know how it is connected and I will contact Wickes tomorrow. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Tim JA replied 17 days ago.

OK.  I was going to offer guidance on testing the connection.

In case you aren't aware, you have considerable rights as a consumer under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Since the fault occurred within six months of purchase, the onus is on the merchant (i.e. WIckes) to prove that the fault wasn't introduced during manufacture.