KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18+ years experience as Appliance Tech.
70193065

I own one of these and it's been great up until now, though

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I own one of these and it's been great up until now, though it's only been used for approx 6 months. I found a leak had occurred yesterday, water underneath, coloured, and looks like the packet of spinach had thawed and leaked. Many items had thawed and most had to be thrown away, e.g. ice cream, etc. The fridge side seems to be too cold as well, with some items almost frozen. How do I adjust the settings, please? Bear in mind I'm in my 70s and not very agile.
JA: Is your fridge level with the ground, or tipped slightly forward?
Customer: level, as far as I know. a new floor was laid just before installation.
JA: How long has this been going on with your refrigerator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: a couple of weeks. Not tried anything, just waited to see if it sorted itself out when I had rearranged the shelves.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Can't think of anything. I have kept the old freezer in the garage so I'm wondering what to do to rectify the fault before transferring the produce back. I have high value foods in there that I cannot afford to be spoilt, e.g. 2 whole salmon, etc. towards a big family celebration.

Good day and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Fridge Freezer.

Please provide its make and complete model number. 

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
OK but could take a while as it's with all paperwork for house.

No problem, I understand.

The model number can also be found on label located behind the vegetable drawer.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Found it on wall of fridge left, above veg drawer.MS83430FFS

Thank you for the model number.

This indicates temperature issue and/or an air flow problem due to heavy ice build-up inside the rear wall of the appliance.

Please try this to solve the issue:

Leave it unplugged and empty with door open for around 12-24 hours.

Then plug it back (expect some water on the floor) and wait for another 4-8 hours so it gets back to optimum temperature.

The problem should be resolved.

However, if the issue appears again then the problem is with defrost operation.

You will have to test/replace the temperature sensor and/or defrost heater element to resolve the issue.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

I hope I was able to answer your question.

If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert.

You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish.

Have a wonderful day.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you Kevin. I'll try that. I will also get the spirit level to make sure the fridge freezer is level.

You are very welcome and Good Luck.

Have a wonderful day.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
You too.