KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18+ years experience as Appliance Tech.
70193065

Our Zanussi CZF 145W Fridge-Freezer has started to form ice

Our Zanussi CZF 145W Fridge-Freezer has started to form ice on the base of the fridge compartment. I have kept the drain hole on the back of the fridge clear, and checked with a thermometer that the temperature keeps within the permitted range. It did not used to do this. What can be happening ?
JA: Do you know the model of your Zanussi fridge? How old is it?
Customer: CZF 145 W, Type B256046, Prod No. 925 602 518, Ser No. 22300026. Does this tell you enough ? I can't remember exactly when we bought it, but it seems a long time ago.
JA: How long has this been going on with your Zanussi refrigerator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Quite a few months. As I said previously, I have kept the drain hole on the back panel clear, so I don't think it is water collecting when the ice there melts. I have a fridge thermometer and have carefully set the thermostat so that the thermometer keeps in the "blue" band. It still gradually (over a few days, develops ice on the floor of the fridge compartment. The freezer is not suffering from icing up.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think that is all I can tell you. Someone suggested to me that it might need to have the gas replaced. Is that possible ?

Good afternoon and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Zanussi Fridge Freezer.

Please allow few minutes while I check its schematics and then type the answer.

This indicates temperature issue and/or an air flow problem due to heavy ice build-up inside the rear wall of the appliance.

Please try this to solve the issue:

Leave it unplugged and empty with door open for around 12-24 hours.

Then plug it back (expect some water on the floor) and wait for another 4-8 hours so it gets back to optimum temperature.

The problem should be resolved.

However, if the issue appears again then the problem is with defrost operation.

You will have to test/replace the temperature sensor and/or defrost heater element to resolve the issue.

Alternatively, you may call Zanussi at 03445 610 645 to book repair.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you. I will try this, but it will have to wait until we have reduced the contents.

I understand.

You're welcome and Good Luck.

I hope I was able to answer your question.

If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert.

You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish.

Have a wonderful day.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No thanks, ***** ***** do what you say and take it from there.

You are very welcome and Good Luck.

Have a wonderful day.