Andrew Balfour
Andrew Balfour, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 30 Years Experience!
110699312

My melitta Avanza 600 is flashing ‘single coffee’ and

Customer Question

My melitta Avanza 600 is flashing ‘single coffee’ and ‘clean’ and I can’t stop it. I was running the CLEAN programme and interrupted it.
JA: What specific appliance does this involve?
Customer: Melitta Avanza 600 bean to cup coffee machine
JA: How long has this been going on with your coffee maker? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just a few minutes. I was running the CLEAN programme and interrupted it in error
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The brewing unit is inserted and locked in place
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I would be happy just to return the machine to factory settings but I seem to have locked it by interrupting the CLEAN programme.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 11 days ago.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have no choice. My machine is not working and it is a bank holiday and Melitta is closed.
Expert:  Andrew Balfour replied 11 days ago.

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer.co.uk

I would like to start by introducing myself, I am Andrew, one of the many experts on JustAnswer.co.uk with over 30 years of experience! I know it can be frustrating when electronics go wrong but from my experience, misconfiguration is usually the most common reason and with the right advice and guidance you can be sure to have them addressed. Please allow me a few moments to investigate the information you have logged with us today so that I can provide you with the information you need to have this matter addressed

I have investigated the information you have provided and it sounds like you have a query relating to a Coffee machine where it prompts for the unit for a clean. I would suggest a lot of newer models have built-in functions where it cleans the unit, however, in some instances, I have found it's better to attempt this entire process manually, It's known as a de-scaling process and to do so, please see the instructions I have attached below.

1. Fill the water chamber halfway with white vinegar, and then top it off with water.
  2. Set the carafe in place and start a brew cycle. Halfway through, turn off the coffee maker and let it sit for one hour. 
  3. Empty it all out. 
  4. Try brew a hot drink again. 

I hope the information provided today helps and if you have any questions or require any further assistance, please let me know and I will do my best to answer those!

Andrew

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi Andrew, I don’t think that you have read all the information in my question. Let me try to clarify my issue. I have a two year old Melitta Avanza 600 bean to cup coffee machine. I was trying to run the CLEAN programme but I interrupted the programme in error. This has left me with a machine that is locked and is flashing the SINGLE COFFEE and the CLEAN symbol alternately. What I want do do is to return the machine either to factory settings or simply to standby. At the moment I cannot move the machine from its ‘locked’ position. I have tried turning the machine off, leaving it for a while and then switching on again but this just returns me to the situation with the two flashing lights. Hope this helps.
Expert:  Andrew Balfour replied 10 days ago.

Could you try running the descale manually, as it's locked into this mode, and we can attempt the steps I have sent over?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Andrew, The machine is totally locked in the position I mentioned earlier, two flashing lights and no response to any buttons. I do not have the option to run a descaling programme manually. I think that I will leave it there and try Melitta tomorrow. Thanks anyway, Bob

You may need to get a professional to look at it, in that case.