Tim JA
Tim JA, Customer Service
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

Looking for wiring assistance with a new KM-1601SAH machine,

Customer Question

Hi there
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: looking for wiring assistance with a new KM-1601SAH machine
JA: Do you have a multimeter or voltage tester? What colors are the wires?
Customer: from the machine is it brown white black I am in saudi arabia and have a 220v supply
JA: What have you tried so far with your wiring?
Customer: it has brown blue green (brown positive, blue negative and green earth)
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I can get the machine started but when the compressor kicks in everything stops
Expert:  Tim JA replied 8 days ago.

Good afternoon, and welcome to the Technical section in Just Answer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

The UK terminology is a little different to yours, viz:

brown : line (or live)
blue : neutral
green/yellow : earth

When you say "everything stops", what does that mean?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Tim
The machine starts and goes through the cycle then when the compressor goes to kick in it knocks out the power
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I am trying to understand the power diagram I attached. Living in saudi we have a composite power supply! 220v and 60Hz
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It looks like there are 2 options:
1. Step the 220v down to 110v and connect Live to the bown and negative to the whiteOR2........I dont understand! Looks like I need two live feeds, nothing else? Is this 2 x 220 ?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Can you see the picture I attached
Expert:  Tim JA replied 8 days ago.

It's very difficult when you use colloquial English to describe things happening in an electrical installation when there are already very plain terms available.

When you say "knocks out the power", that has too many interpretations for me to count.  Could you say what you see and/or hear?  For example, does a circuit breaker trip?   If so, what type and of what rating?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Breaker trips. 32 amp.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have asked 3 electricians locally here to assist and all walk away! Waiting for the dealer to come but thought I would look on my own. If it is too much of a problem, I will just wait.The main issue is Saudi has 220v mains at 60Hz so the desire to have 60 Hz machinery means wiring up something that wants to run on 110v. Where small Transformers are available the drawing attached looks like it needs 2 x 220v feeds stepped down. Seams excessive.May it would be better if you explained how you would take a 220v feed and make it work?
Expert:  Tim JA replied 7 days ago.

I was, and am, working toward the point where I can explain how to "make it work", but by definition I need to know in what way your installation is not working.

Nothing is too much of a problem here, however there's a risk that you'll get bored of me asking the same question.  But I have to, because the questions I'm asking are all relevant, and I'm not going to make any assumptions.

Regarding the breaker, you've not told me that its rating is 32 amps, but you haven't said which type it is and, more importantly, whether it's an MCB, an RCD, an RCBO, or something else.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
MCB
Expert:  Tim JA replied 7 days ago.

I cannot see the photo and drawing that you say you attached - please see the following guidance on attaching photos.

https://www.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

Expert:  Tim JA replied 7 days ago.

I'm unclear about the intended market for the appliance that you've bought.  Was it made for the UK market, or US, or somewhere else?

It was made for the US market then you will need to use a step-down transformer; these are readily available.  If for the UK market then the problem is more complicated.