James
James, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a &D GK1000. It jammed when I inadvertently tried to

Customer Question

I have a B&D GK1000. It jammed when I inadvertently tried to cut some wire imbedded in a 8cm log. The machine was freed but no longer works. Is there a thermal cut out or what is the most likely fault. It’s a brilliant tool and I would miss it.
JA: What's the brand and model of your appliance? How old is it?
Customer: Black &Decker GK 1000 alligator.
JA: How long has this been going on? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It’s about 3 years old and it suddenly stopped today cutting a <4” log which unfortunately had an old piece of tree support wire imbedded in the bark
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: does it have a thermal cut out. If not what is the most likely cause of it not working. Would the motor burn out that quick?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Where is the technician? It’s nearly 20 mins since I was told 8 mins.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 6 days ago.

Expert:  James replied 6 days ago.
There is a thermal cut out but this self resets, I would start by stripping it down and check motor brushes, activation switch and determine where the power is stopping from going to the motor.

You may find the video here useful with regard to stripping it down and reassembling.

It was a pleasure to assist you today. I hope the above answers the question. If you are happy for the question to be closed there is no need to reply (as this will reopen the question), however do let me know if you have any follow up questions.