KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18+ years experience as Appliance Tech.
70193065

I have a Zanussi freezer and we have an issue with the fan,

Hello, i have a Zanussi freezer and we have an issue with the fan, it constantly gets blocked by ice so we have to keep scraping this off every day otherwise the fan stops working - is this normal?
JA: Do you know the model of your Zanussi freezer?
Customer: I'm not sure, it came built in the new build house we bought in Dec 2020
JA: How long has this been going on with your Zanussi freezer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would say after a year of having it. We've tried putting it on a lower setting but that just makes the food go soft and doesn't keep ice cream frozen. So we just have to keep de-icing it everyday to keep the fan going round
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i don't think so

Good morning and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Zanussi Freezer.

Please provide its complete model number.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Do you know where i can find that?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Zanussi ZBB27640SA

Thank you for the model number.

In fridge freezer, it is found on the label/rating plate located inside the door.

Please allow few minutes while I check its schematics and then type the answer.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok

This indicates temperature issue and/or an air flow problem due to heavy ice build-up inside the rear wall of the appliance.

Please try this to solve the issue:

Leave it unplugged and empty with door open for around 5-24 hours.

Then plug it back (expect some water on the floor) and wait for another 3-8 hours so it gets back to optimum temperature.

The problem should be resolved.

However, if the issue appears again and fan will not work then fan motor is faulty, and will need replacement.

If the fan works, and issue is still there, then the problem is with defrost operation.

You will have to test/replace the temperature sensor and/or defrost heater element to resolve the issue.

One more thing, these are common issues which occur during this time of the year.

Alternatively, you may call Zanussi at 03445 610 645 to book repair.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Do we need to select any settings in particular to prevent this from happening e.g keep it on a setting lower than 8 degrees

You may keep the freezer at -22 and fridge at 2 degrees during this time of the year.

In winters you can keep freezer at -18 and Fridge at 6 degrees.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
thank you, ***** ***** last thing. When we leave the freezer door open, will the food be ok in the fridge - will this still be keeping the top half cold, it will just be the freezer that will stop.

No, unplugging it will reset whole appliance including fridge and freezer.

You may try above advise after you have used most of the products.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ah okay great thanks for your help!

You're welcome and Good Luck.

I hope I was able to answer your question.

If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert.

You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish.

Have a wonderful day.