KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18+ years experience as Appliance Tech.
70193065

I have a Neff American fridge freezer K5930D1GB/01 it’s 11

Hi. I have a Neff American fridge freezer K5930D1GB/01 it’s 11 years old. It keeps defrosting over a period of a few weeks. I’ve turned off, waited 48 hours then turned on. Appliance repair man says it’s not the defrost heater or fan motor. Thinks it’s a circuit problem. He can’t fix. Please advise
JA: How long has this been going on with your Neff refrigerator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: For approx 3-4 months. Cycle of gets warmer after a period of time then we turn off, defrost, then works for a short time before starting to fail again
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no. Please see above

Good day and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Neff Fridge Freezer.

Please allow few minutes while I check its schematics and then type the answer.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok. Thanks

The repair man has also checked the temperature sensor ?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.

OK, so sensor, fan motor and defrost element are all fine, according to him ?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
He says it’s a circuit issue
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
There are 3 circuit boards. Can’t tell which one. To replace them all is very expensive. Thought an expert could pinpoint the faulty bit on the circuit board
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Are you still there Kevin?

Yes, still here.

Please understand this is not an immediate service as we are not always available here.

Moreover, we have to check the schematics before we can provide you with an accurate answer.

However, I will now try to respond as soon as I can.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok. Yes - of course you need to have a think! I’ll be patient. Thank you

Please check this IMAGE (if he has already checked part#401 to 405 and part#433)

And all of the above are fine, then yes the control board is faulty, and will need replacement.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I can’t open the image but he did do all the basic checks. The problem is it’s one of 3 circuit boards and you can’t tell which one

There is also another image, which has thermal fuse as well.

I believe he has not checked/tested all the parts as control boards usually do not fail easily in these Neff appliances.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
My question is would a Neff expert be able to pinpoint which circuit board and just repair the faulty links rather than replace everything which is not cost effective

Well, the one located at the back near the compressor is the power board, so that is not faulty as your fridge has enough power.

Then yes there are two control boards, the one on top left will be faulty, if all other sensors are fine, and will be replaced.

Yes, of course, alternatively, you may call Neff at 03448 928 989 to book repair.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
All power is fine. It’s definitely something that’s gradually causing the thermostat to fail

There is not just one thermostat in your appliance, there are around 4 thermostats (including temperature sensors and thermal fuse).

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok thanks. I think I’ll call Neff and risk another call out charge in the hope they can get it working again

I understand however, I believe it has to do with evaporator section then the controls.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok thanks. Will this conversation be emailed to me for reference?

Yes, I think it is sent to your email.

You're welcome and Good Luck.

I hope I was able to answer your question.

If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert.

You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish.

Have a wonderful day.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.

You are very welcome and Good Luck.

Have a wonderful day.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Just one more thing. Could you email the image with the part numbers you suggested to check please. I have a Neff engineer coming out next week. Thanks
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Neff didn’t recognise the numbers 401, 405 & 433

Those are the numbers on the image and not the part numbers.

Please scroll up to check the image.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I can’t open the image

You can simply call Neff to book repair.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I’ve tried this & I can’t get it to open. Maybe a screenshot? I’ve got an appointment with Neff. They were asking about the parts you mentioned so they could make sure they had them in the van

Well, the engineer has to test the parts that I was referring to, here is the screenshot.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
That’s great. Thanks

You are very welcome and Good Luck.

Have a wonderful day.