Erdal Zal
Erdal Zal,
106347225

My washing machine isnt working properly, but its hard to

Customer Question

my washing machine isnt working properly, but its hard to know exactly why, as it does do a full cycle I think it could be the PCB / chipset that has gone wrong
JA: Is your washer top or front loading? How old is it?
Customer: front load. about 5 years old. I have had it from new, and it hasn't been used that much, as I am away for work a lot and live alone.
JA: How long has this been going on with your washer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Its an Indesit EWDE 7125
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think it has been going on for a while. its hard to be sure. The clothes are washed, but they just aren't very clean, its something I have come to notice over time.
Expert:  Erdal Zal replied 11 days ago.
Good Afternoon 

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for your question. My name is***** am an expert from Germany and have been working as an appliance technician for 20 years.

I work with a language translation program and would be very grateful for your understanding.

I'm sorry I can't talk on the phone, but another expert can do it for you if you wish. If you were to book the phone service, then you may have to wait a little while until another expert becomes free and accepts your phone request.

I will try to help you as much as possible via chat.

I am sorry that you are having this problem! Please give me a few minutes to check what kind of device you have and download the correct documents. If you have not written the model number or manufacturer please write it to me now.

I ask you now for a little patience.

Expert:  Erdal Zal replied 11 days ago.

It can have different causes. But we can both find out together. Can you test only the spin programme and report to me if it starts without problems and finishes normally? This way we can find out if the motor and the drain pump are working well.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I will have to work out how to run just a spin cycle, but first there is a bit more information I can give you:
Expert:  Erdal Zal replied 11 days ago.

You can also start a spin programme with rinse if you want. I just don't want to start a big wash cycle with 40 or 60°. First of all, I want to find out if the heating system is causing the error. Whenever a wash cycle takes a long time and doesn't finish at all, it is usually the thermostat or the heater that is working incorrectly.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Initially I noticed that my clothes were coming out really not smelling fresh at all. I got some of that machine descaler/cleaner and tried running that through, but it did not help. I cleaned out the little filter bit at the front on the bottom, and whilst it was quite dirty and smelled bad, it was not blocked, and didn't really have much effect. So I opened up the back of the machine, and took out the rubber hose connecting the drum to the waste. This was filthy, so I cleaned out a lot of gunk from here. The drum itself was fairly clean.
After this, there was some improvement to the smell of my clothes but they were not right. Particularly gym clothes would still smell of sweat.
I think that the machine is just washing clothes in clean water, and not properly doing the soap part of the cycle.
I have experimented with different types of soap and detergent, but it doesn't seem to help. the clothes never come out actually smelling like detergent. At one point I watched it run a cycle, even when I put both soap in the drawer, and also a tablet in the drum at the same time. There is no point in the cycle when you can see a large amount of soap in the drum. I have since watched 2 other machines, and they both have a time where you can see lots of soapy water. On my machine, you can hear the machine flush out the detergent drawer, but its like it just washes that water straight down the waste.
I don't believe the heating element is the issue, as if I run a hotter cycle and take the clothes straight out after, they do feel warm.
I have also noticed, that the timing is off. If I run a 3.5 hour cycle, it finishes in 1.5 hours.
So overall, I feel like maybe there is something wrong with the PCB and it is not controlling the cycle correctly.
Sorry that is a lot of information, but I wanted to build up a picture of what is going on.
Expert:  Erdal Zal replied 11 days ago.

I believe you. Of course, it is very difficult to determine now which of them is defective. It could be that they have problems with the heating, thermostat or main board. If you could really tell me if the spin programme starts and finishes normally in the given time, then that really leaves the heater, thermostat and home board as the source of the fault. Do you want to repair it yourself or book a repair?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I should be capable of swapping parts myself, I just dont know what to swap at the moment
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I should run a spin cycle, and check that it completes in the time it says it will?
Expert:  Erdal Zal replied 11 days ago.

Yes, please try the programme and write me if it starts in the given time and also ends normally without an extension. And after that, try another washing programme at 60° and also check if it really causes the error. It could be caused by a faulty thermostat, heater or control board. After that I will give you further instructions on how to check it.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
ok thanks. May be later or tomorrow before I can do this. Do I jut log on and reply when done, I guess you will be back online tomorrow
Expert:  Erdal Zal replied 11 days ago.

All right, no problem. I wish you a lot of success now. I am always at your disposal and would like to help you further. For today, I wish you a pleasant afternoon and stay healthy.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
hi, so actually I managed to do it already, It was quicker than I thought.
My machine only has one option for running a spin cycle entirely on its own, and it is only 10 minutes. I ran it, and it ran for about 9 mins before showing "end" on the screen, although it didn't release the door lock for another minute or so, so it was in the end quite close to 10 minutes
Expert:  Erdal Zal replied 11 days ago.

Okay, then the spin function started very well and also finished normally. Now do another normal wash cycle and watch the appliance again to see if it starts and finishes normally. From how many minutes is even longer.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
do you mean run a full regular cycle or try and do just the wash part?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
it doesn't look like I can isolate the wash part. The only options on the "partials" menu are "rinse", "spin" and "drain"
Expert:  Erdal Zal replied 11 days ago.

Yes, I mean you can choose a normal regular programme. At least 60°.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
But I did a regular full wash only earlier today, and timed it. It was supposed to take 3hrs 35m. but it took approx 1.5 hours.
I dont think the machine tells me what part of the cycle it is on.
Expert:  Erdal Zal replied 11 days ago.

If you can tell me afterwards from how many minutes onwards it is delayed or faulty, then I can also tell you exactly where the problem may lie. 

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I don't think there is any more I can tell you. It is not delayed it is running too short. which I guess implies it is missing part of the cycle, but there is no error message or visible issue.
It does not tell me what part of the cycle it is actually on, so I cant really see where it might be skipping something. Other than saying its 2 hours less than it should be, I'm not sure what else I can say.
Expert:  Erdal Zal replied 11 days ago.

So unfortunately I cannot tell you what could be defective. I could give you instructions on how to check the heating, thermostat next with an electric meter. You need to average the resistance values. Of course, you have to remove the heater and the thermostat to check them. Would you like to do that?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I don't really want to do that. I think I could, but I am relatively confident its not the heating as it does get warm.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I'll try to set a wash cycle and actually watch it and see what I can learn. but I'll need a bit more time to do that when Im free to sit and watch it
Expert:  Erdal Zal replied 11 days ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have an idea.
The machine has an "everyday fast" cycle, which is 45 minutes.
With this, there is an option for an "extra wash" cycle. which makes the whole spin 2hrs 10m.
Perhaps if I time the 45 min cycle, then time it with the extra wash. it might show where the time is being lost?
Expert:  Erdal Zal replied 11 days ago.

You can always lose time when rinsing or heating.