canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

I can't get the vacuum to work. I'm worried debris has

I can't get the vacuum to work. I'm worried debris has gotten into the unit as water level went too low without me realising
JA: What's the brand and model of your vacuum? How old is it?
Customer: It's just one which attaches to the side of the pool
JA: How long has this been going on with your vacuum? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I also have a zodiac mx8 which I can't get to work on the skim function I've been trying all day, I've done the back wash etc
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I'm worried about leaving the pump running incase it is blocked and then could it burn out? Do you offer weekend services?

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the repair field for over 20 years. I am sorry you are having issues with your Zodiac pool vacuum. I will be glad to help you today.

I'm happy to help you decide if you need to get your appliance professionally repaired or if you can manage the repair yourself. However, sometimes it takes me time to type out a more extended response; please be patient!

Several things may prevent your pool vacuum from working.

There may be a leaking or cracked hose so check the hose out carefully. When you pull the hose out of the water, there will be noise from any leaks in the way of sucking air. Make sure you turn off the pump before checking the vacuum out.

• The first would be debris in the mouth of the cleaner. Make sure you turn off the pump before checking anything out. Next, you would want to disconnect the hose and check for debris in the cleaner's mouth and the basket strainer. Sometimes the quick connect fitting gets stuck, and replacing the fitting may be in order.

• A hose connected to the skimmer may be coming loose periodically. If this is the case, you can get a bracket that holds the hose in the skimmer. Also, the skimmer hose adapter may need replacing.

• Next would be checking out your equipment. If your filter pressure is over 30 psi, it is unlikely that the vacuum will work, so backwashing may be in order before the vacuum. Next, remove debris from the filter basket. The port valve lever has not been moved to bypass if the pressure is low. If the handle feels loose, there may be an issue with the multiport valve, and it may need servicing if forced to move to a different position. You can also get a tool to test the hose pressure from any local spa supplier that you can connect to the vacuum hose and test the pressure from the vacuum hose. The manual will specify what the pressure should be for your model if you refer to the manual. You will also want to check if the pump is sucking any air.

• Air would indicate a seal leak on the suction side of the pump or a leak on the basket seal of the pump, so replacing any O-rings on the pump would be necessary to solve that issue.

• Finally, it is a good idea to lube any connections with a rubber seal to ensure they do not dry out and make them harder to remove later. A specific lube for this application is available from any local pool and spa supply store. Most skimmer adapters also have an adjustment to make for flow.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thanks Mike, I've cleared out the basket and the skimmer looks like it's working again as air is coming out of the hole
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Fingers crossed the zodiac will work tomorrow but giving up for the day!

You are most welcome. 

Do you have any additional questions or concerns?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hopefully not, have a good evening

Please reach out to me if anything changes or if you need to chat further!

You can add me to your favorites from the "My Questions" page, and if you start the question with the words "For canuck the pro," that will request me.

I surely want to be your go-to expert. Maybe I can tell you some household things that might be helpful. How to flush your water heater, maintain your dishwasher, or anything else that would be helpful to you. Thank you so much for allowing me to help with this today.