Rarewares
Rarewares, Other
Experience:  Appraiser
68269273

I have just inherited an antique spinet desk from my parents

I have just inherited an antique spinet desk from my parents and want to ship it from Canada to the UK and have no idea how much I should insure it for. It was made in Canada by Coombe's of Ontario which is no longer in business.

My name is ***** ***** I'd love to help.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including marks, labels or signatures.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Photo of the desk is attached.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not sure if you can help me with identifying the vases as well . . . photo attached! Thanks

I can only comment on the item in the original question. New items must be in a new question with For Rarewares as the first few words.

As for the desk, please also send one picture of the label. This company changed names slightly over the years and that will help dating the piece.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't have a copy of the label on the desk as it is in Canada. Sorry.

Here are the names and roughly the years for this company's different names-

1890-1903...Coombe Furniture Factory Company Limited

1903 ...Watson and Coombe Furniture

1929...F.E. Coombe Company

1963-1972 (closed)...Coombe Furniture Factory Company Limited

This spinet desk looks to be made of Canadian elm and was likely made circa 1900-1910 based on the details, turning, and the popularity of this style during the early 1900's. The retail value of the desk is $600USD and the

insurance/replacement value is $1800.

To end this one, please click the stars in the upper right and hit submit.
A good feedback is the only way I am paid by the site.
This action does not cost you anything extra.