Doris
Doris, Personal - Property Appraiser
Experience:  Owner/Pres. Chancery Lane Antiques & Appraisals, Inc. at Self
19572128

I have a set of 6 tea spoon and sugar tongs with a makers

Customer Question

Hi I have a set of 6 tea spoon and sugar tongs with a makers mark of - W.Batty & Sons td Watch Makers Diamond Merchant Manchester & Liverpool Five of which are silver and one a replacement which is silver plate. No idea what happened the the 6th tea spoon. They belonged to my Grandmother and possibly her mother before. They have and engraved S. on all pieces except for the replacement one. I would like to sell them and cant find anything to give me a price guide. They are simple design with no embellishments other then the S. engraving.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: I can see a Crown a Lion JR & S something else and a *and cross at the end.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Doris replied 4 months ago.

Welcome! Doris here. I will be pleased to work with you. My responses are not immediate. I thank
you for your patience. I am reviewing the question.

*************************
Please read all carefully!
*************************

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.

Please send photos of ONE WHOLE spoon showing the pattern.

Please send a photo of the identification marks, labels and/or words on the spoon.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the BLUE DOCUMENT ICON (next to the red "SEND") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP or DOCX format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

OR

How to transfer photos to your computer from your phone:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-transfer-photo-my-phone-my-computer-hl

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi is this enough?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please cancel telephone call pressed in error!
Expert:  Doris replied 4 months ago.

One picture came through at this end. It showed a blurred picture of the marks.

Can you get a clear, in-focus picture of the marks? If not, please sketch the marks and send a picture of the sketch.

Then I need a picture of ONE whole spoon showing the pattern.

I do not participate in the phone call services. The ad for a call was auto-generated by the site, not me.
I will still continue to work with you in writing an answer at no extra cost.

You will have the most accurate assessment if your expert sees pictures first.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can’t get a closer photo but as described. Crown lion ? Then J.R&S star and cross
Expert:  Doris replied 4 months ago.

Thank you. Is that an upper case letter "T" between the lion and the JR&S?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Looks like it
Expert:  Doris replied 4 months ago.

Thank you. Please allow a couple of minutes for study and typing.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Or lower case f
Expert:  Doris replied 4 months ago.

Explanation of marks:

Crown - Sheffield, UK, assay office

Walking lion - Lion Passant - the guarantee of sterling silver

T - Sheffield style date letter for 1961

JR & S - Sponsors mark (new term for maker) - John Rodgers & Sons

Star and Cross - Symbols used by Sponsor - no special meaning

The pattern is Old English.

The estimated retail value of your "tea set" consisting of 6 teaspoons (5 sterling plus 1 plated) and sugar tongs is 100-150 GBP in an upscale venue.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices (30%-50% of retail). Sales in the eBay "Buy It Now" format are closer to retail.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has the largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify a local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
AmazonMarketplace.com
Chairish.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com, nextdoor.com, Facebook.com, or Facebook Marketplace where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate the appraisers for any issues you might have with the site, appraisers are not employees of the site, we come to the site to answer questions the customers have.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "FOR DORIS" as the first TWO WORDS of the question, I should be able to help you.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think it is an italic lower case f the cross at the end is a St George cross Sheffield Crown/lion Passant
Expert:  Doris replied 4 months ago.

Are you stating that the letter we thought was an upper case "T" is a lower case "f"?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not sure but it could be f
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
In which case what would be the value then?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The mark is hard to tell even with a magnifying glass it could be either but leaning towards f
Expert:  Doris replied 4 months ago.

Both letters marks are the 20thc with the "f" being 1923.

There is very little difference in value.

If it is the "f" (which I believe it to be), the revised estimated value in an upscale venue would be 115-165 GBP.

The two symbols at the end are those the Rodgers firm used during this period.

The same selling venues I recommended before apply here as well.
I hope this helps.
Positive, please.
Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Doris replied 4 months ago.

You are welcome.

*********************
I am only credited by the Just Answer site for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the STAR SYSTEM at the top of the screen. This does not cost you extra. Please do not forget! Thank you.

*********************