twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser
Experience:  28 years of appraisal experience. Author of 3 books on collecting. President of the Association of Online Appraisers.
57035021

I have two hand-made Sri Lankan solid mahogany display

Customer Question

I have two hand-made Sri Lankan solid mahogany wood display cabinets both identical except one is glass double doors whilst the other is solid double doors, they both have the same design etched on each door panel, glass doors have a beading design on the inside of the glass whilst the solid wood doors have the same design craved into each door panel. I think it's Queen Anne short legs on both cabinets and each cabinet has three little drawers at the bottom. One cabinet is a glass shelving unit to display crystal, curios, etc and the other cabinet can be used to store dinner sets, drink bottles, etc. They both have a natural grain from the same tree trunk used to make these cabinets which were shipped over from Columbo to Felixstowe during mid 1999. Because I need to downsize in property I am reluctant to give them away and would like an approx. value as a guide with the potential to sell. Thank you
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. What condition is the cabinet in?
Customer: Very good condition - a few minor marks but because it is solid natural wood the tree notches outline a blemish under the varnish coating - these have been temperature treated before being shipped over to acclimatise the wood to the cooler climate. The legs are not screwed into place, forms as part of each cabinet made from one piece of wood except for the doors on each which are hinged.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: The solid wood cabinet had 3 mahogany shelves inside which were stolen during a subsidence house move by the removal company which resulted in no one owning up to it - however, it doesn't effect the use of the cabinet as I have made 3 shelves out of loft chipboard to perfectly inside and does the job and also cannot be seen once the doors are closed or no one would know unless I mentioned this otherwise.Customer: Chat is completed
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 months ago.

My screen name isCustomer

I'd like to see the item and the marks, writing or labels on the bottom or back.

If you are on a computer, use the blue document with up arrow symbol by the SEND

to browse your device for a photo.

Write any word in the message box

then choose only ONE picture then send and do the next. It will not let you batch upload them all at once.

On mobile phone, upload them in this chat.

I will answer on the website once I research and write the answer, so thank you for your patience.

-Rarewares

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
File attached (4M4MP6Z)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
File attached (6LTGVVS)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
File attached (44VQP4T)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
File attached (45253S4)

these are all small format

Will you be able to add photos?