GregoryH46
GregoryH46,
Experience:  Expert
112228356

My grandad has recenty died and had a large collection of

Customer Question

Hi, my grandad has recenty died and had a large collection of antiques/collectables. What would be the best way to get them valued with a view to sell?
JA: Hi there. Do you know how old the collection is?
Customer: There is a lot of different things of different ages From postcard collection (really old) to royal memorabilia
JA: What condition is the postcard in?
Customer: Really good, some have been kept in plastic covers, others written
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Appraiser should know?
Customer: There is some war medals too, and old scout knifes
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  GregoryH46 replied 12 days ago.

Thanks for the enquiry. In order to help you, can you tell me what area of the country you are in please. Your items do sound to be the sorts of things that are popular in the market at the present time. I know from the house visits that I do that people in your situation firstly want to understand what they have got and then if they choose to sell, they just want a fair price. Basically they don't want to make a big mistake. I never charge for example to visit houses and discuss the contents with the owners. It is unlikely that I am near enough to help you though. Please reply and if you can upload just one or two photos that would help. Sounds very interesting. Greg

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I'm in west Yorkshire, and that is just a small percentage of things
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
File attached (MZZ7S5L)
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
File attached (M35GSG7)

Just looking at your photos. Greg

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
File attached (VM3QMQ2)
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
File attached (MPM2M17)

Well quite a mixture! One or two interesting items here and a few that are at the cheaper end of the market.

The large decanter would sell but for less than £10. The glass (dragon) and the moulded glass decanter are boot fair or charity shop items.

Your loose stamps are of very low value.

The colourful coloured postcards are too modern for collectors. The best period for post cards is around the first world war (before 1920 anyway). You can get the dates from the postmarks. See if you have any of these old ones. Many of your look lie 1960s. Here's an idea to prevent me having to write a book and to prevent you having to pay more to speak to me. On Greg Hall Antiques you will find my phone number. Give me a ring and I will talk you through your pictures.*********** I am there now.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** call now