GregoryH46
GregoryH46,
Experience:  Expert
112228356

Could you value this please

Could you value this please

Just looking at your picture. Do you have one of the back please. Greg

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
File attached (MM2536L)

Thanks for the additional picture. I was trying to establish if this cherub or 'putti' head bracket is period or 20th century. By period I mean that it would be up to 200 years old and carved from wood (probably lime) in a European country (Italy for example). Everything that I can gather from the photos convinces me that your example is cast in plaster or resin with a frame of metal or wood to give it additional strength.

I believe it to be 20th century and as such it will have a modest value (£30 /£40 or so)

Perhaps another indication of its modern nature is the pair of very incongruous and frankly unsightly holes either side of the head.

I have seen period examples but they are quite rare and would of course show some signs of wear and distress commensurate with their age.

Hope that helps. Greg