Marcus Potts
Marcus Potts,
Experience:  Proprietor at Old School Antiques
112458850

I have a set of bone china 4 cups & Saucers of Hammersley &

I have a set of bone china 4 cups & Saucers of Hammersley & Co. Inscribed Victorian very delicate. a lovely design .style and shape elegant..
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes it's turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I Have had it in my possession for over 36 years, and it was handed down to my late Husband.. Gold trimmed saucer and small elegant shaped coffee cup .
JA: Is there anything else the Appraiser should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: on the bottom of the small cup I thought it said Victorian but the more I look it says 6ictorian. very dark blue Flowers and leaves on both saucer and cup.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
i can wait a short while longer .

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to help you with your cups. I'm sorry you've been waiting.

The best first-step is to upload some photographs. There's a page here on the website which explains how to do this: https://www.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert. If you have any problems, please ask. The "attach" icon is alongside the Reply panel below, but you need to be aware that it works one-at-a-time. That aside, it functions quite well.

Ideally, I need to see a clear, close-up image of the maker's mark or "backstamp" that you refer to, as well as a general shot of at least one of the cups and saucers, so that I can identify (hopefully) the pattern.

I look forward to beoing able to assist you.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi sent some photo's through hope they will be of help.
They have gone through to just answer for your attention. Hope you get them done the best I can..
Not got an iphone , at 79 what I
would I want one for. Thanks Valerie Wheeldon

Thanks Valerie. If you emailed them to the main site, they will be forwarded to me in due course. It can take a little while sometimes, but as soon as I receive them, I'll reply here.

If you prefer, you can upload them directly to this page, asuming you have the images on your computer,. There's a 'link' button beside the dialogue box where you type your comments. It's quicker, and keeps everything together in one place.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you so much. never done anything like this before, usually when I don't want anything I give it to a good Charity. Val Wheeldon
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
p.s. I keep getting messages from Just answer 3 in the last 30mins all from different people very annoying I thought I was just dealing with you. .

I'll do what I can to help. Hammersley made some very pretty porcelain and bone china, and their pieces are collectible, so I'm hoping I can recognise the pattern.
You will receive an email from JustAnswer every time I make a reply. It's just to advise you that I have responded. There shouldn't be any other emails, unless there's something from the administration team. When I click the "Send" button, an email will be created. It's best to give them a quick look, just in case, but you can ignore most of them.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hope this is ok for you , tried my best. Thanks. Valw

Those are perfect. Thank you so much. You've caught me just after lunch, and I have to pop out for half an hour, but I will reply as soon as I get back. I'm sorry for the delay.

Thank you for your excellent photos - very clear, and helpful.

You have obviously seen the mark, and recognised the maker as Hammersley & Co, a long-established and well-respected manufacturer based in Longton, one of the six towns that comprise Stoke-on-Trent. Although founded as a company in 1885, the history of Hammersley goes back further, and has links with Stoke since the 1860s. The name was changed to Hammersley and Co (Longton) Limited in 1932,  when the acorn logo was introduced, and finally to Hammersley China in 1974, when it was taken over by The Porcelain and Fine China Companies Limited, owners of Royal Worcester and Spode. Palissy Pottery Ltd, also part of the group, continued to use the Hammersley name until 1989, when it was sold to Aynsley China. They in turn were bought out by Belleek in 1997, and the factory in Stoke closed, ending an association lasting over 150 years. The Hammersley backstamp hasn't been used since 1989.

The mark on your cups is much earlier than the one on the upturned bowl (?), as revealed by the font used for the word "Victorian". The one on the underside of the cups is noticeably different, not only in the way the "Victorian" type is used, but also by the presence of the earlier crown in the middle of the stamp. This means your cups date from between 1939 and around 1950, but the other piece is from after 1974. I assume the mark on the saucers is the same as the cups, as the later mark appears to be on a small bowl?

The "Victorian" pattern is an underglaze transfer design, and was available in cobalt blue (as your cups and saucers), a bright magenta rose colour, a sepia orange, and a dark sage green. Although called "Victorian", the design was introduced in the 1920s, and seems to have remained in production for about 20 years.

Of the various colour-ways, the blue is the most common, with the pink and the green the rarest. However, the blue still has the greater appeal, and is collected not only by those who appreciate Hammersley china, but also collectors of Blue & White. I have been able to find several instances of Victorian pattern being sold recently. A full service of 42 pieces, including 12 cups and saucers like yours, with sugar bowl, creamer and sandwich plate (but missing the pot) sold at auction for £92 plus fees (total £110), but this is typical of saleroom figures, where larger lots go to the trade and rarely realise their full potential.

A more realistic estimate will come from looking at genuine sales figures for individual cups and saucers. There are keen collectors for singletons, and sold individually, examples of Hammersley "Victorian" can fetch £15 - £18 each. In truth, tea cups do fetch more, and can realise £30, but coffee cups like yours are still desirable.

I hope that is helpful. If there's anything else you'd like to know, please ask. If you feel I have resolved your question satisfactorily, please rate my answer by selecting the number of stars (top right on your panel) that you think I deserve, and clicking the "Submit" button. This will complete the question ... although you can still add more comments if you wish.

Marcus Potts,
Experience: Proprietor at Old School Antiques
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you so much.., but all I can say is who would want to buy them..I would not know where to start. Again thanks Valw.

Thank you Valerie.

The most effective way to find collectors who might wish to buy your china is through a global website such as eBay or Etsy, but if you don't have an account, or are not familiar with the processes, it can be a challenge. However, that route is the only one that is going to enable you to realise the best price for your cups & saucers.

An alternative is to approach an antiques dealer local to you. Dealers often get a bad press for "under-valuing" antiques, but in their defence, there's a good reason for that. A dealer will only ever off a 'trade price', and that will be somewhere around half to two-thirds the figure that they believe an item can be sold for.  So, if they think they can retail your cups and saucers for £15 each, they may offer you only £8. That leaves them a reasonable margin for profit, although they also have to consider that it may take them many months (or more!) before they find a buyer.

Another option is to visit an antiques fair if there's one being staged near you. As you walk round, look at the stock the dealers have on display, and find the ones selling bone china and porcelain. Ask if they will make you an offer for one of your cups and saucers. It happens regularly, so they won't be surprised. If they suggest a decent price for one, then say you have three more. Be prepared to haggle, and if you can't get the price you want, you can always thank them and try elsewhere. Your Hammersley pieces are pretty, and they will sell.

If one of these appeals to you, let me know, and if you can tell me (very approximately) where you're located, I can do some research for you, and find either a local dealer, or a fair happening nearby.

Best wishes,
Marcus

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I am located in a place called Mansfield. Nottinghamshire , I am 79 and practically housebound, no transport, and partially sighted, so going to auctions etc is out of the question., but thank you very much for all your help, you have been very kind.. I think I am stuck with them unless I give them away.. never mind.

I haven't been to Mansfield in many years. We live in Oxfordshire, but consider Yorkshire to be 'home', so we pass by occasionally.

I have had a quick look, and there are several antiques shops in the area - perhaps some may be close to you?

• The Calvie Gallery on the High Street in Edwinstowe is highly rated, but may be too far away.

• I'm not sure about Arcade Collectibles in Handley Arcade - it doesn't look very exciting, and their web page is not active.

• Romans Antiques & Collectables are in the Market Place, and could be a possibility.

• Victoria Antiques Centre is on Victoria Street in Mansfield and looks quite well stocked.

There aren't any fairs in your immediate area, so you'd have to travel, and that might be awkward. There are events at Southwell Racecourse (one next Saturday/Sunday: Southwell Antiques Fair). That's quite large, and I know the organisers, so it will be good. There's a smaller one at Lowdham Village Hall on 5th December (Lowdham Antiques Fair). That happens every month. All the rest are some distance away.

I'm not sure that's much help. Your cups are very pretty, and I'm sure you'd find a buyer.

Best wishes,
Marcus

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for your time and help, I am not far from Mansfield will try to see if they are on Internet, but any way is impossible no transport , I lost my husband last year he was my eyes and my transport, so the other ways is not good to me , but thanks again for your precious time..

I'm so sorry to hear that.

The shops I references are online, so you may be able to contact them that way, and perhaps send them photographs. If I was closer, I might be able to offer more help. However, please don't hesitate to ask if you think there's more I can do.

Best wishes,
Marcus

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I think you have done more than you should have, I can never repay you not only for your help, but also your kindness, understanding and above all your expertise.. Thank you Valerie Wheeldon.
I will try that antique shop by telephone as soon as I can. will let you know ..

Thank you Valerie, and I hope it works out.