marks699
marks699,
Experience:  dasdasd
112996622

Trying to determine and artist and value a picture, Item

Trying to determine and artist and value a picture
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes it's turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: Item signed however I am unable to make it out, purchased 20 years ago from an auctioneer. Has been frame by John mathieson and co in Edinburgh
JA: Is there anything else the Appraiser should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hi, this is Mark with JA. I’ve been in the antiques and art business for nearly half a century. I think I can help with the art. Can you send some pics? An overall shot, a close-up well-focused detail or two, one of the back or underside, and a good, clear shot of the maker’s marks or signatures, if any?

Photos should be attached to this thread. Here’s some help with sending files. Look for any of these links, depending on the device and browser you are using (see attachment). If that doesn’t work, try this link for more help: https://www.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert. If all else fails, try calling Customer Service at(###) ###-#### and they should be able to help. Also, if you’re using a smartphone, JustAnswer has a free phone app.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Images sent via email

Email usually doesn't work.  The photos should be attached here to this chat.  (see help above)

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (64T3T45)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (6M72TTM)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (S6V66GS)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (ZP3TV13)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (SGZSM15)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (GTG31LQ)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (54PP62V)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
That's the images

Got the photos.  Thanks.  Checking now...

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Great

I can't read the signature.  Can you give me your best idea of what it says?  Or perhaps send another photo, as close-up as you can make it without losing the sharp focus?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
We are unable to make it out either, hopefully this new image will help.

Got the photo.  Checking now....

Sorry, but I struck out on the signature.  I tried several image and signature enhancement techniques, but still came up empty.  In this Internet venue, it's often difficult to determine the medium of picture, e. g., watercolor, pen and ink, inkwash, etc.  I could not locate another copy of this image, and it appears to be an original colored pencil drawing.  As a well-detailed drawing, desert setting, perhaps Morocco, Muslim figures, matted and framed, slightly age-toned, probably early to mid 20th century, by an obscure or unknown artist, resale value £32-36.  If you wish to seek another opinion, I promise I won't be offended!

Best of luck with it. If you’d like my personal help with any other items, please feel free to start another question (not in this chat window) by going back to www.justanswer.com and starting a new one. If you wish, you can ask for me by my screen name,Customer. Start the question with "FOR MARK APPRAISALS ONLY..." and I should be able to find it. You can also use either the "Ask me a new question" feature on your “My Questions” page or to add me to your Favorite Experts list if you would like to connect with me again. Cheers! Mark

marks699,
Experience: dasdasd
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for your help

My pleasure!