Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Lately my audi A6 allroad 2.5 TDi doesnt always power up the

Lately my audi A6 allroad 2.5 TDi doesn't always power up the starter when the gear lever is in P or N position. The lever requires moving back and forward until the ignition does eventually power up the starter. It is taking longer and longer for the starter to activate, once it does the engine starts instantely.
Can someone give some information as to how I can solve this problem?

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am prepared to wait another while. You require more information. I was laid to believe that the problem is connected in some way to the automatic/tiptronic transmission.I had the transmission ECU professionally tested and confirmed to be Ok. The transmission oil and strainer was replaced as it was thought that fine metal particles present in the oil might be causing the problem.

In my opinion your expert would have to be familuar with this transmission system.

As regards XXXXX XXXXX as me questions and I will try to provide more info.

Thank you for getting back to me and providing more information. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Hello and Welcome ..

My name isXXXXX happy to help you - Im sorry to see you have had a wait on your question..

The problem / fault you have is usually with the range start inhibitor switch ( people call them different things ) but basically - as you may well know, the selector has to be in P or N for it to start... When the sensor switch wears, you run the lever back and forth until it "connects " - allowing power to the starter motor....and hence starting the engine.

So this is not usually a very expensive job - ideally any local auto trans specialist - or even local garage can do this for you - of course any Audi dealer would know and be able to do this for you too... its a known / common fault which they are fully aware of... So thats the way forward on this one for you now to get this sorted out properly for you.

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Please do click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.
Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello Mike.

I had the neutral safety switch replaced with a new one, parts and labour cost in the region of £220. Audi refer to it as this but it is the same as the range start inhibitor switch that you refered to.

Glad to say it has totally cured the problem with starting, but it wasn't a simple straight forward job, it is located in an ackward place a few other components had to be removed to excess it.

Regards.

Terry.