mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a 2009 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T, 6 Speed, 45K. Purchased the

I have a 2009 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T, 6 Speed, 45K. Purchased the car around 3 years ago from MK Audi, it only had 13K on the clock and for the first year I mainly done motorway driving and don't drive it hard. But the last two years I mainly use the car at weekends and recently drove to Dundee and back. When I used it this morning, I noticed that when I pulled away from a junction and going up hill, the rev counter went up to 3k, but the car was not moving as fast in relation to the revs, then you could smell the clutch burning. On the flat and driving normally, the clutch does not seem the slip and the revs seem to be in relation to the speed that you are driving, also, the clutch pedal is about 1" (approx.) higher than the break pedal (I assume this is a hydraulic Clutch on this car).

But, on looking for a quote to replace the clutch, and taking into account that the vehicle has only done 45K, I have found a few people stating that they have had problems with
Can you please confirm if the possible problem I am experiencing is with the clutch, or if it could be with the fly wheel and if there is a Audi Recall for this problem.the Fly Wheel and that this is causing the issue I am experiencing, and that Audi repairs the problem due to a Known Fault and at their cost.

Please advise me what needs to be done.

Regards XXXXX XXXXX
Hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with your question.
The issue that you are having is consistent with a flywheel problem and not a clutch problem. These vehicles have a dual mass flywheel design that is known to crack and cause the clutch pad not to rotate and press evenly resulting in your issue. There is not a recall on this issue so audi will not help with the cost of the repair. The gearbox has to be removed and the flywheel replaced to correct the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for coming back to me,

when I approach a dealer/ company to rectify the problem do I request that the fly wheel needs to be replaced, or will they try to sell me the new clutch and possibly try to replace the clutch and fly wheel together.

And on average, what is the cost of replacing the fly wheel. Watford Audi advertise on their website - to replace the clutch - £749 approx., and would this include the fly wheel.

Kevin

They are likely going to want to replace the clutch and flywheel together,that is pretty standard because the clutch is normally worn because of the failed flywheel. The price above should be for the clutch and flywheel together.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your help with this, these days you have to be so careful that you are paying for just the work that is required, and that the garage have not added other things on top just to get more money out of you.

Kevin

I completely agree. Thank you.