Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

audi a8 2001 model 3.2 litres has excess water in the plenum

audi a8 2001 model 3.2 litres has excess water in the plenum chamber. so much so ,that it has gone into the heater box in the car.I am worried about the wiring getting affected. how do I drain it and also clear the water in the heater box. please confirm that I will be in touch with an audi master tech pls. PS I've cleared out A4 Audi plenum chambers before but this seem to be a different ball game!!!

Hello and Welcome to justanswer.. Audi.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you with this -

The water won't do any damage to the actual wires - but can corrode the bare metal parts of the wiring - the connections etc.. In any event, it needs the situation rectifying.

To do this its pretty much the same as the A4 models - you need to remove all the plastic paneling to gain sufficient access to the plenum chamber so as then to clear the drains - which is the problem usually, they getting clogged. Once thats done, the problem should not be repeated. Any residual water in the heater chamber should drain out - they don't normally need any specific attention, they drain and any "wet" inside then dries out with the use of the heater.

To just help you further- click HERE - I have uploaded an image for the A8 to show you the points that you need to undo / remove the plenum chamber coverings.

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Please do click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mike. Thanks for coming back to me. I cant get to yr image. it keeps going to ''photobucket''. Whats that??

Can you not send me an emailed picture pls. ??

Ive already taken off the plenum chamber covers. cant locate any drainage holes. Thought there would be 2 holes --- one on either side of the centre. The air intake box is bang in the middle of the chamber .... you cant see or access the ''floor'' of the plenum chamber.. So firstly you have to know the layout of this model and secondly it is helpful if you have an image of the floor of the plenum chamber without the units in there. that gives an idea at what point to clear the drain hole or holes as the case may be. My email address [email protected] Ps I am a mechanic so you can go technical on me and im sure I will follow your lingo!!! Many Thanks . Rod

Hello again Rod -

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry re the image - I dont know why that is -it works for me... but I will give it you again below.. click to enlarge.. again it shows the fixing points.

I dont have an image of the floor of the chamber Im afraid - you should be able to see the drain points from the outside of it though - ie, in the engine bay side.. though its hard to see because of the engine - but thats the best way.
I cant use your email Im afraid, its not allowed, hence the system blocks it out as you can see above.

See how you go now and let me know. If I can help anymore, I will -

graphic

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mike , Thats very basic. I need the next picture up and a guide to where the drains are. You cant see a thing when you take those covers off. Thats why i have contacted you guys who are or should be one step ahead please. See what you can do . Also the water in the heater box in the car behind the centre console is so much that its sloshing about and if you drive the car and turn sharp left or right , the water pours out on to your feet from the vents. This is after I have sucked out the water from the plenum chamber!!!. Got to get to these drains and clean them out!!!!!!!!!!

Rod..

Im not sure what you mean there... I told you at the outset that the only image I had was that one...

But can I just check before much else... as you have that much water in the heater box - are you sure its not coolant - from the engine coolant system?

|Can you actually see water in the chamber?

Have you checked the pollen filter housing?

MIKE............................
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mike.

Fair enough you only have that picture.

The plenum chamber was full of water before I sucked it out. now its dry. but the box behind the centre console is full of water which is sloshing about as I mentioned previously.. definitely not coolant . No I havent checked the pollen filter housing. How much water would that hold?? I wouldnt think too much ?? Do you thing ,removing the pollen filter would drain the water in the heaterbox behind the dash??l

Rod

Hello again Rod -

Thank you for your reply -

Indeed yes - thats what Im referring to re the pollen filter housing - remove the filter and see if you can suck the water / clean that chamber out - let me know on that..., you may have to strip the heater but lets hope not...

As you sucked all the water out of the plenum, then that does ID it as rain water not coolant ..so thats ok..

Im going to see if I can get any more for you on the drains Rod - bear with me on that - but meantime check on the pollen filter business etc yes..

Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok Mike, Will do .

Await your further info

Rod

Hello again Rod -

Im struggling with the pics for you - Audi are not too hot on that at all with the info / drawings..

Where are you up too / how are you getting on?

Rgds, MIKE.....................................

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mike . Thanks for coming back to me. Yes thats the standard with manufactures. They will never give out anything unless you know someone at the dealership who will get it for you.

Customer wanted his car back so I boxed it up for him. Will most probably have it back tomorrow or the day after, when I will do the pollen filter. Is there nobody on your team who has had the pleasure of removing the units in the plenum chamber to do this job of clearing the blocked drain?? That would be the best tech detail there to sort it out?? Will leave you to figure that out for now!!!

Thanks ---Rod---

.

Hello again Rod..

Thank you for your message.

I know what you mean re manufacturers but we have info that we have access too ( that we pay heavily for! ) which is what the makers have - but, with some "parts of the car"...ie, what you are after - the info is just not there.. they seem to think one doesn't need it I think! very frustrating.

However - I did say I would look further for you and I have come across a couple of pics on the net that may help you ... I will gladly share them with you..

Looking at the first one here you can clear see where they come out - and following back you should be able to trace the source - or, I would suggest - rake them out with welding wire or the like, from the lower openings - up. That will sort them if they are clogged..

Here's the pics for you..

The first one HERE...

Second - HERE. and an "overal" view - HERE

I hope they help you some more, they should as they at least give you the idea where to be looking..

Rod - I hope that helps... Please dont forget to click on the OK ratings for me - as thats how Im credited for time etc helping you .. Thank you in advance for that ..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi Mike.

Thanks for the reply. But I cant get into your images. Like before it goes into ''photobucket'' and gets lost with itself!!! Can you simplify accesssing the images like u did before please.

I will definitely rate it after seeing the images which Im sure will do the trick.

will that end my communicating further with you?? As you know the customer is to bring the car back to me , so that i can complete the job. I hope I can be in touch after i have attempted your suggestions if thats ok please.....Thanks Rod

Hello again Rod -

Thank you for your reply as above.

Im afraid I was off for a week or so with illness - so thats why I couldn't get back to you - Im sorry about that !

I cant understand what was happening with the images Rod - but if you need them, I will send them a different way.. they work ok for me here but - as I say.

Where are you up to now Rod with it ?

Best Rgds, MIKE..................................
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mike. Sorry to hear you were ill. Hope you are better now. I had fun and games with this one!! Managed to open up those pictures you sent. Its easy when you dont have an engine and gearbox in the car !!! I had to poke and prod at the drain to clear it -- more by touch and feel!!!-- The pollen filters are in the bonnet and not in the car where the airbox is. I had to suck out the water from the air box thru the centre vents. Its all drying out now, but will take time. However ,I have discovered another water leak which I think is coming thru the main wiring loom gromet that is on the bulkhead and may have detoriated. But access to it is non existant... so... Thats another story.....

Anyway, I did rate your assistance and I hope you have got your credit. If it hasnt been received please let me know. Ps The pictures were a good enough guide and useful in the end!! Thanks for your help

All the best

Rod