How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Matt Your Own Question
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Category: Audi
Satisfied Customers: 22761
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Type Your Audi Question Here...
Matt is online now

I have an Audi A6 Avant on a 09 plate and the front near side

Customer Question

I have an Audi A6 Avant on a 09 plate and the front near side headlight has started to develop condensation which is getting worse and worse. The offside is absolutely fine. Is there a time life on a headlight or should it last longer? They are sealed units so option is the replace the whole unit at a cost of £700 plus but as a sealed unit there should be no water entering. Is it a product defect?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

headlamps should last 150K miles but in reality once they are out of the warrenty period the dealer isn't going to replace them for free as they are not a major component like the engine block

and yes as you say they should be sealed to prevent water ingress
there is a rubber seal on the back for the lamp unit so its worth while checking the state of this seal and use some vaseline or other grease on the rubber to improve its seal

what I'd suggest is to remove the lamp unit and let the air in so it can dry out overnight ( assuming the car can be dry stored) then use some grease on the rubber and refit the lamp unit

I've also fixed this ssue on other cars by taping a small bag of silica gel inside the headlamp , behind the reflector unit but within the sealed volume as this is excellent at absorbing moisture
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
do you still need help with this?