Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK

My Audi 1.4t petrol manual doesn't engage into the 5th and

Customer Question

My Audi 1.4t petrol manual doesn't engage into the 5th and 6th gears, why?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

Does it go into every other gear besides the ones its doesnt?

How does the gearstick feel - is it loose or stiff etc?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
does go from 1st to 4th then when I try to change into 5th he gets back to 4th again
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the same with 6th
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the gearstick feels the same
Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

Sounds like an issue on the gear selectors have 2 cables that lead from the gearstick to the one cable does 1-4 the other does 5-R..if one of those cables pops off or breaks then you wont get certain gears to only get one side of the gate..ideally you want to be checking the gearbox selector mechanisim that cables attact too..then have someone inthe car operate the gearstick..if no movement is seen to engage 4th and upwards then its likely the cables for that side of the gate has broken..the repair normally means getting both cables replaced.and usually this is dealer you'll need to find someone verfiy as above then fit new cables in and that should sort it out..hope this helps