Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

When I start the engine it sounds like the exhaust is

Customer Question

When I start the engine it sounds like the exhaust is blowing and it miss fires won’t drive unless it is revved high but then the next time I start it there is no problem my mechanic says one of the fault code showing is the timing belt but is not 100% if this is the issue but at £1000 to fix indeed him to be right
Assistant: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: The car has done 109000 I have had it since 40000 and I have never had the timing belt done
Assistant: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: I can’t see an arrow I am on my phone if that makes a difference
Assistant: What is the model/year of your Audi?
Customer: 2004 it’s a tt 3.2v6 Quattro
Assistant: What year is your Quattro?
Customer: 2004 04 reg
Assistant: Are you fixing your Quattro yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No it’s been to the garage but he’s not 100% that it is the timing belt and it’s a lot of money to spend if it’s not
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The car runs like a dream most of the time the fault is sporadic but I don’t want to damage anything further by driving thanks
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I still have had no reply ??
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If you have not had the timing components inspected/checked this needs done to see if any timing components are found to be an issue needing repaired or replaced.Usually though if it was a timing issue the fault would occur at all times.

I would have the injectors tested for any issues as well.If there are any injectors at fault this will cause this issue here as well and any faulty injectors will need to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete