Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

I have a New A8 Quatro sport 3.0 diesel. Have done 914 miles

Customer Question

I have a New A8 Quatro sport 3.0 diesel. Have done 914 miles since purchase end September. Have noticed a judder on full lock. Both left and right. Took car back. Told by technician this is a normal trait of the car. Can you advise as i feel the car needs to go back to Audi.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is this like a kick back in the steering when hitting full lock left or right?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Audi are calling it a Skip the wheel feels like a judder. When the technician was on full lock I could actually hear it when standing outside the car.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Awaiting reply Pete

I apologize for the delay.

Did they test or check anything at all or just operate it and said it was normal?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just manoeuvred the car and said it was normal. We call it an Audi skip.

There is a kick back or skip that will occur at full lock and this is to prevent any damage to the power steering pump and gear.They said this was normal and I would ask from here to ask them to see if you can try another like vehicle on their lot to see if it has the same exact feel to it.If it does then, unfortunately, this is the way it was designed.

If it was not or if they do not have another to try then this can be a fault with the power steering pressure switch/sensor needs replaced.This can send a false signal causing this issue here needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete