Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I'm looking for some help, I have the a4 with the bpw

Hi I'm looking for some help, I have the a4 with the bpw engine, it's dead now so looking for a second hand engine, do you know if any other engine code fits even if it's the 1.9?Thanks

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

the BLB and BRE engines are directly compatible with the BPW unit

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Matt thanks, ***** ***** you know if the 1.9 awx would fit using my turbo and manifold etc as I've been told that it would and there only £300 second hand

The awx will technically fit on the big parts ( mounts , gearbox etc) as its essentially the same engine as the later units

however the bigger issue is the differences in the cams, injectors and cylinder head

all of these will mean a 1.9 engine won't run very well in car with 2.0 ltr ECU if at all

and re-coding the ECU to suit the earlier engine is not straightforward as you need a dealer to do it plus the engine wiring loom will need modifying / replacing

all in all I'd not recommend fitting the earlier unit

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks for your help looks like I'm just going to have to suffer paying out £1000 for an engine and hope I don't get the same common oil pump problem

hello

there were also updated oil pumps with better / stronger drives

as the 'hex' drive on these balance shaft / oil pump units is what shears off and leads to carnage

VAG made several updates and the later revised pumps are much better

so perhaps find a good replacement and then have the pump swapped out for the latest design

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did here that there is a company called KMB that do the modified shaft balancer for around £300
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
One last thing I found this engine, with the upgraded oil pump will this fit into mine?

the BRD unit is the high power version of your engine (170bhp vs 140 bhp)

so while its closer to yours in spec it will still need an ECU reflash to work properly and as this has to be carried out a dealer then it may outweigh the cost difference between a BPW engine and this BRD as they will charge at least 1 hours labour (£80-120)

and thats if they will tackle it as some won't on principle . as a lot of dealers won't touch anything thats not stock being scared of the possible consequences

Ideally the best route is the better pump into a good used BPW unit that should be good for at least 150K miles

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This the response I had from the seller, so yeah maybe the best option is to just get the bpw engine.I appreciate your help on thisRegardsGlenn

No problem Glenn

I'd agree that doing a like for like replacement is best course of action, especially if the seller is offering an uprated pump as well