AudiDoc
AudiDoc, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Independent European garage owner. Over 20 years experience
14582033

I am due to purchase my 2013 Audi A5 tfsi 1.8L car on

Hi I am due to purchase my 2013 Audi A5 tfsi 1.8L car on sunday, I have been warned - by an audi engineer - not to buy this because of the problem with oil usage and engine wear due to that .. I have had a quick google and can see that this only related to cars registered up to 2011 .. is that correct? Does this issue still exist for the 2013 reg?
Many many thanks
Leanne :)

Your quick google search was absolutely correct. There was a major oil consumption problem with the 09-11 TFSI engines requiring engine teardown, piston and piston ring replacement. That problem was properly fixed on the 2012 and later TFSI models.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
HA! I knew it ... have there been any reports of this happening since the update ..?
But thank you soo much for giving me peace of mind .. so I'm pretty safe to go ahead. I think my so called friend is 'jealous' shall we say .... The car has only had one owner and there is no record of this problem on the service record. Back to being super excited about Sunday now! Thanks again , Leanne

In my experience with these cars (the US 2.0T is the same, architecturally as the UK 1.8T), I have yet to see any significant oil consumption problems that are related to major engine components. They do have what is called an air-oil separator that bolts to the valve cover that occasionally fails, causing oil consumption greater than normal. Fortunately, it's a relatively inexpensive part, and is very easy to replace.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That's great to hear ...... I've been reading the forums this morning and giving myself a mini stroke .. but did notice the comments were only about models up to 2011. Just needed that clarification that it was looked into and fixed.
Thanks again AudiDoc!