AudiDoc
AudiDoc, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Independent European garage owner. Over 20 years experience
14582033

My gear stick won’t spring back to center, it will stay at

My gear stick won’t spring back to center , it will stay at either end of the neutral line , it is a 2.0 tfsi Quattro 2012. Any ideas much appreciated
Dave

Any possibility that you could post the VIN so I can check on the transmission type? Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi the car is in a garage at the moment , it is a manual gear box

Ok, and one last question before offering information. Are you considering doing your own work or bringing it to a garage to have it done?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It will be taken to a garage

Ok, sorry for the delay. Got called out to the shop for a few.

So, unfortunately the gearshifter doesn't have it's own detent springs to keep it centered. This is all accomplished inside the gearbox itself, which will require some gearbox disassembly to repair. I'd definitely suggest an Audi/VW specialist for this repair.

Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks , roughly how many hours labour would that be ?

That part is difficult to know for sure. The transmission would have to be removed in order to access it properly, which in itself is about a 10 hour job. Likely another 2-3 to disassemble far enough.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

My pleasure, and thank you