Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

A3 1.8 Sportback - Timing belt or chain? Just bought it, it

Customer Question

A3 1.8 Sportback - Timing belt or chain? Just bought it, it has 76k miles (full history): do I need to do anything about it?
Assistant: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: Nothing has been changed, and was told that it has a chain??
Assistant: What year is your A3?
Customer: 2008
Assistant: Are you fixing your A3 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, want to ask my mechanic
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: what is the danger if this is the chain?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 11 days ago.

Hello my name is***** dealer technician, and welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today.

Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution.

As far as phone calls are concerned you will receive a system automated call request, that is not me, and they do cost more money and some cases a phone call is required.

If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Also I am not paid hourly by just answers, I am only paid when you rate me, so if you could please respect my time and knowledge by rating me when we are finished that would be wonderful.

In the spare tire area is a 3x5 white options sticker. Can you take a pic and post the pic here to get factory info to assist. Thanks

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
A3 1.8 Sportback TFSI, 76k miles, yr2008. I've just learned that it has a time chain, and website says it costs below £100 (what is the labour price?) Main qn is - does it really need replacement, or check/service? The last oil change was 8k miles; had regular oil changes.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 11 days ago.

i have asked for a pic of the options sticker please to assist

thanks

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I'm still waiting...
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 11 days ago.

hello !! I'm waiting for the picture of the options sticker so i can get the factory information to assist you!!

Thank you!!