AudiDoc
AudiDoc, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Independent European garage owner. Over 20 years experience
14582033

I currently have and Audi A5 TFSI 2.0 2014. A few weeks ago

Customer Question

I currently have and Audi A5 TFSI 2.0 2014. A few weeks ago the EPC light came on which shortly follows with rough idle and intermittent stalling. I have changed the crank sensors and spark plugs. But the light still comes on after a while driving. Andy advice ?
Assistant: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?
Customer: It was but hasn't happened since changing the crank sensor this morning
Assistant: What year is your A5?
Customer: 2013
Assistant: Are you fixing your A5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes and changes all filters, crank sensor and spark plugs
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Audi
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll wait
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 6 months ago.

Ok, so before replacing any other parts, can you please post the list of fault codes in either VAG 7-digit format or SAE Pxxxx format?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have used my own diog and no codes are coming through
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 6 months ago.

If the EPC light is on, there are definitely fault codes stored, however, a generic OBD2 scanner often will not be able to retrieve them. Something Audi/VW-specific will be necessary. To at least give you a bit more information in the meantime, EPC stands for electronic power control, or in other words, your drive-by-wire throttle. There is no mechanical linkage between the throttle pedal and throttle body on the engine. So there are electronics in both that are monitored. If there is a fault in either, the EPC light will illuminate, and engine ECU will record faults. I have replaced a few throttle bodies in these, but I don't recommend throwing any other parts at it until you can get a proper scan done. When you do, please reach out and let me know results.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 6 months ago.

Glad to help