CarDoc
CarDoc, Mechanic
Experience:  IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
105313175

It’s an old a4 1.9 turbo, I have spent over a grand on it

It’s an old a4 1.9 turbo, I have spent over a grand on it trying to stop it smoking. There is hesitation pulling away and there is a problem I can only describe as , foot on a sponge, it goes right through that feelin, rockets away, leaving the vehicles behind covered in smoke.. the last time it was in for work, they found a pencil thin pipe that had holes in it, said that must have been the problem, ok fo a couple of days and it’s started again
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you been losing oil or coolant?
Customer: Lost coolant over a period, put a new expansion tank on and they said that cured the water loss. 170000
JA: What year is your Turbo?
Customer: Should think it’s the one that was on the car new.
JA: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, it keeps going in the garage, got a mug here as I don’t pretend to be mechanical.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I suppose the qustion is. Is it worth carrying on spending on it when it appears the garage knows about as much as I do.

Thank you for using JA.

Black smoke is usually because of incomplete combustion, turbo issue, air intake fault, egr problem, it can be because of many things. I would start with a compression test to see if the valves and piston rings are good. If the engine itself is good, you can then start to look at other components.

.

Please don't forget to leave a 5-star rating. This helps me build my reputation. Your rating benefits the experts that use their time to respond to customers. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you think it’s doable to get it right or am I just throwing more money away.

At 170,000 it probably is coming to an end. A compression test of the cylinders will tell you the state of the engine. You could easily check the MAF sensor and throttle body yourself, they're both on the intake pipe. A dirty MAF sensor can cause black smoke.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
First class help,would recommend.

Glad I could help :) Thank you for using JA.

.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have decided to bin the Audi , would you cancel any future payments against my card, thank you. I have spoken to my bank explaining the £5 is ok but not to honour any future payments.