CarDoc
CarDoc, Mechanic
Experience:  IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
105313175

The hood has been slowing down and getting stuck and now

Hi - the hood has been slowing down and getting stuck and now won't open fully. Think it might need a top up with fluid as it leaks a bit.
Assistant: What is the color and consistency of the fluid? And where exactly are you finding it?
Customer: quite sticky yellowish and coming out of the hood pistons in the rear of the car
Assistant: What is the model/year of your Audi?
Customer: 1998 2.6 v6 audi cabriolet
Assistant: What year is your Audi?
Customer: 1998/1999
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing as yet - was thinking about tightening the bolts on the pistons. I think the nearest specialist is in Redhill, surrey and I live near Reading. Wanted to see if there might be a simple fix.
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Why would he help me for free?

Thank you for using JA.

I don't understand what you mean hood? are you referring to the bonnet or retractable roof?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The retractable roof -

If the pistons are leaking, you will have to replace them because the seals have failed. I would recommend that you lubricate the roof mechanism especially the metal to metal contact points.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

You're welcome, glad I could help.

I hope I have answered your question, if you have anymore questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please don't forget to leave a 5-star rating. This helps me build my reputation. Your rating benefits the experts that use their time to respond to customers. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
5 stars

You have to select the stars on your side of the chat log. Thank you very much :)