Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

I have an 2013 Audi A3 TDI Sport with an issue I wonder if

Hi Mike,
I have an 2013 Audi A3 TDI Sport with an issue I wonder if you may be able to help. Kind regards J:o)

Hi I am not sure if you specifically want Mike but my name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified vehicle technician, If you want to let me know your issue I will see if I can help.

Steve

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
HI year, thanks for your fast reply. The problem I have isn’t when you turn the key all the way off and the engine still runs. The vehicle only stops whenever you physically take the key out of the ignition barrel.
I’ll ass some photos shortly with dash warnings.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Here Ian the dash warning display
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is

Hi thanks for that.

The problem sounds as though it is the electrical part of the ignition switch, this is a common problem with the Audi and can be due to a small part inside the ignition barrel breaking off. This prevents the switch operating fully. Taking the key out of the barrel allows the last section of the switch to be turned off (normally the accessory section)

You may be able to rectify the problem with just the electrical part, but when removing this do check the operation of the key / steering lock mechanism.

I hope this helps, please click accept and rate me if this answers your question. Even after doing this I will be able to answer any further questions about this for you.

Steve

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I’ll send you a couple of photos of the diagnostic to see if it helps
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Because this is a common fault on the Audi’s was there a recall? Will they likely change it for free ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If I go to a garage which electrical part is that I need to get replaced please. It isn’t something that I intend to do myself as I’m not confident in this kind of thing!

I have just checked the Audi recall list and this is not an item on it I'm afraid.

If you take the car to the garage you need to tell them that its the ignition switch which is at fault, and they need to ensure the mechanical part is operating correctly before replacing just the electrical switch.

In my experience it is better to explain to the garage in a knowledgeable way what the problem is, but let them take the responsibility of confirming the part which needs to be replaced.

I hope this helps

Steve

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Steve, I just know that my local Audi dealership would want to charge me £120 to diagnose the exact part to replace hence why I thought I’d spend some time and a lot less money on the net.
So if I went to a non main dealer garage and asked them to change the ELECTRICAL IGNITION SWITCH that there Is a good chance that this will cure my problem?

Sorry for the delayed reply, I had a connection issue, all sorted now.

Yes if you request the electrical portion of the switch to be changed this should resolve the issue, but as the unforeseen can occur it is best to ask them the check the operation of the key and barrel whilst the ignition switch is out.

Do ask any further questions and I will reply straight away.

Steve

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Steve if I let you have my Reg no. Would you be able to provide a part no.?

Hi Yes if you let me have the registration number I will get the VW part number

Steve

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Great registration no. EF13 UAB

The VAG part number is ***** 905 849C and the cost is £39.65 + VAT

That is for the electrical part, the cost of the complete ignition lock is £315.00 + VAT

I hope this helps.

Steve

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Wow that’s great Steve , thanks. I just hope it’s the Ignition starter switch ����.
I’ll head to the garage this week
It’s the first time I’ve used this service and if successful at the garage I will be sure to left you quality positive feedback and will no doubt use your service again and recommend to friends and family (beats the robbing main dealers, thieving b******s ��

No problem, I hope all goes well.

Steve

Just a quick follow up to see if you have been to the garage yet and how you got on.

Many Thanks

Steve