CarDoc
CarDoc, Mechanic
Experience:  IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
105313175

Audi A3 1.9 TDI 2005 slight turbo whistling noise when

Audi A3 1.9 TDI 2005 slight turbo whistling noise when accelerating + taking foot off accelerator, changing gears. No loss of power or any other noises. I had a diagnostic check today with plug in and no error codes. Is this normal?
Thank you for using JA. I am one of the automotive experts.The only way to diagnose this issue is to physically check the turbo spindle for excessive play.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for the response. How difficult is it to gain access to the turbo spindle? Secondly what part would need replacing if there was excessive play?
You remove the large intake air hose on the compressor side of the turbo. There should be very minimal or zero play in the spindle. The entire turbo unit will need rebuilding with new seals/bearings etc or replacing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I believe this is the issue. If i keep driving like this will it cause further damage?

It will just keep wearing down until it fails, that's if there is excessive play in the turbo spindle shaft. Some turbos naturally give off a little whistling sound like vauxhall cars.

I hope I have answered your question, if you have anymore questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please don't forget to leave a 5-star rating. Your rating benefits me and helps me build my reputation. It is also a way to thank me for using my time and expertise to respond to customers. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a fairly old car with 136k miles on the clock. I guess it may be worth to get it reconditioned anyway

Get it looked at first and then decide from there but at 136k miles, it will need rebuilding eventually.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Any ideas how much I should be paying for it to be rebuilt?

I would say about £200 reconditioned. The whistling doesn't neccessarily mean the turbo itself is faulty, it could be a turbo gasket leaking so, get it checked before making any decisions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks mate, appreciate it. Will give a solid review. Cheers

Glad I could help you, use the stars to rate :) All the best and thank you for using JA!

Thank you for using JA. All the best with your vehicle repairs.
.

Please don't forget to leave a 5-star rating. This helps me build my reputation. Your rating benefits the experts that use their time to respond to customers. Thank you