Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

Audi a6 automatic - failed inertia switch meant I couldn't

Audi a6 automatic - failed inertia switch meant I couldn't put it in gear. Using a screwdriver to manually push the switch under the ashtray freed up the gear stick and it is now working ok. But my garage says that there were numerous errors popping up when they did the computer diagnostic test including an ABS fault requiring the replacement of two pressure valves. they have recommended repairing or replacing the gearbox - total cost about £2k - I feel like i should get a 2nd opinion as this is expensive and it seems to be running ok with no dashboard errors. But are they likely to be right and rplacement is the best option? (repair of one of the computer boards is about 1/2 the cost of a full replacement)
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: brake switch checked and ok. 2006 Audi
JA: Are you fixing your A6 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Im not able to fix it myself. I am planning to use a garage and want to know if there is any varying opinion about the best option, or if there is a consensus amongst the experts and I shouldn't waste my time seeking out a new garage which has someone with expertise to advise.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't think of anything, thank you!
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
the things that the garage is recommending:

ABS Fault cost Transmission Fault cost
Pressure Valve £99.00 TCM repair £480.00
Pressure valve £99.00 Gear Box Oil £125.84
Brake Fluid £14.75 Labour £450.00
Labour £245.50 £1055.84
£458.25 £211.16Vat
£91.65 Vat total £1267.00
total £549.90

a new transmission would increase cost by about 70%
New TCM £1015.25
Programming £175.00
Gear oil £135.84
Labour £376 00
£1702.09
£340.41
total £2042.50
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
sorry, clearly the formatting got lost on the email - will try again...
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Attached the estimates via excel table instead...

Hi thank you for your question, my name is Steve and I am a fully qualified technician with over 30 year experience in the trade. Hopefully I can help you.

I am presuming that other than the problem with the inertia switch your Audi was driving fine and you had no other problems.

You also mention that no warning lights were on.

The two sets of problems are being presented as two problems but they may be related, and the decision is really do you have a problem?

It would be good to know the codes read off by the garage, and I can tell you from experience that there are many cars driving around with fault codes logged in the system without detrimental effect.

I would advise that you find a garage who will clear the codes, and possibly re-check them in a weeks time, historic codes in the ECU can be flagged up during certain driving conditions, but once cleared may stay away.

It would in my mind be unadvisable to have so much work carried out on the strength of the codes in the system, when no faults are present.

Does the ABS ever judder or come on during normal braking and does the gearbox ever not change smoothly?

If the answer to both these questions is no, then I would not spend out on the repairs listed.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to contact me for any further information.

If this does answer your question please click accept and rate me, this will allow me to continue.

I can answer any further questions even after you have clicked accept.

Many Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
that's really good advice about clearing the codes, because it feels a bit like I have a computer and need first to turn it off and turn it on again and see what happens. Is it a 5 second job to clear the codes or more complicated?

I have not observed any juddering and no dashboard alerts, and the gearbox is always quite smooth (except for the several times it locked and needed that screwdriver fix). I haven't figured out a way of diplomatically asking for a copy of the error codes, so I can't forward those to you, unfortunately.

One last question, if you don't mind helping me figure out where to find a garage that will clear the codes for me - if I can't persuade my current garage to do so.

Many thanks!!

Yes clearing the codes is a quick job, they plug the scanner in the OBD port and then click through and clear the codes. Where in the country are you based, I may be able to recommend a local garage?

Steve

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I'm in Esher, Surrey, and also travel into west London. Thx!

are probably not too far from 278 Kingston Road, Ewell, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 0SH, give them a call on 020 8394 2847

Best Regards

Steve

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
will do, thanks!

They are an independent, tucked behind the petrol station, but have all equipment.