sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I got a replacement rear tail light for my 161 Audi Q3. I

Customer Question

I got a replacement rear tail light for my 161 Audi Q3.
JA: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?
Customer: I got a rear tail light replacement for my 16 Audi Q3. The replacement is for 17 Q3 but looks identical and fits perfectly but the wiring connection is different. Im afraid to connect in case I do damage and blow something.
JA: Are you fixing your Q3 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have put it in and connected but was afraid to turn on the lights. The old plug has five connectors and the 17 one has 4
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Audi
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 7 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer, could you share a picture of the lights with me please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Here is one image
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Another one here
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The last one
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have submitted images as requested but got no response since.

Dear customer, I apology for my delay i did not observe your reply when you sent the pictures, sorry alsofor taking so long to respond but I need a picture of the 4-pin connector because I'm concerned not so much about the extra pin but the shift of polarity in the pins. This is what can cause a short.

Similarly when install and put to work the new rear light, it may not be working properly, may be that the indicator gets stuck as it can not be working, also it may be that the light does not increase the intensity when braking and lit. Also the at additional pin may be pin controller and then one of the functions is not working properly.

The solution i can give you is that with a separate battery tests For what does each pin of the new headlight work or simply connect the positive terminal to each of the pins and observe that light turns on then with a basic tester and connector begin to turn on the brake light, indicator light and begin to observe with the tester where is the variation of energy that pin is not going to place matching the connector of the new stock a little tedious way to solve it but between that and having to buy a new headlight exactly for your model is a job worth doing with a little patience but you must have some knowledge in this test.

Have you understood me dear customer?

Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 6 months ago.

Hello dear customer, i hope you are ok.

Did you solve your problem?

Is there anything else i could help you?

I also would like to remind you to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars rating system at the top of the screen before you leave JA.. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you!

Thank you very much.

​Regards, Sebastian