Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

I have just put refilled the coolant up, driven the car

I have just put refilled the coolant up, driven the car around a bit. And the engine has a gurgling noise coming from it.
JA: How many miles on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: Over 50000, not long distance driving. Averaging 10 mile journeys for some time.
JA: What is the model of your '10 Audi?
Customer: A3
JA: Are you fixing your A3 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Refilled the coolant
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified technician with over thirty years in the trade, hopefully I can help.

If you simply topped the system up it may be that you have a leak somewhere in the cooling system and the noise you are hearing is air which is running through the system. In normal use the cooling system shouldn't drop its level much, and topping up needed would be minimal. If this is the case the source of the leak should be looked for.

If you have drained the system down and then topped it up, then the noise would be the air being dispersed after the drain down and the coolant should settle, but may need topping up again. The cooling system contains many air pockets which can hold small areas of air, this will then as the engine warms up and he coolant starts to disperse the air, create a gurgling noise, this is acceptable.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread,

if this does answer your question please click accept and rate me, this allows me to continue, even

after clicking accept you can ask further details by replying to this thread.

Many Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello Steve, thanks very much for your reply.I have topped it up last night and checking this morning have seen that the coolant tank is completely low again.

That does sound as though you have a leak somewhere, can you see any puddles underneath, or is the engine running differently and emitting white smoke, these would be signs of a problem.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello,There is a big puddle underneath the engine, which is in the body of the car so to speak and not actually on the floor floor.

Ok this does sound as though you have a leak on the cooling system, you shouldn't drive the vehicle with this leak and will need to find where its coming from. If you top the cooling system up again and then have a look around you may be able to see the source of the leak. If the leak does not show up straight away it will be ok to start the engine briefly to see if this shows the leak up. Do be careful of the moving parts under the bonnet though.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have done an there is nothing obvious at this moment in time.

HI

It does sound as though you have a leak and if the leak is not showing at the moment the most likely cause is the water pump, this can leak and seal intermittently and the system may need putting under pressure to find the problem.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thanks very much Steve.

Your welcome.

Let me know if I can give you any more information.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I filled up the coolant tank again and it completely disappeared again, however, this time the coolant puddle underneath engine got bigger. I was not able to see where it was leaking from. I looked at the pipe from the coolant tank and followed it as far as i could see really.

It sounds like quite a bad leak then, with the under tray its difficult to see the exact spot the leak is coming from but it may be the radiator as its leaking that quick.

You may need to take the under tray off and then look for the position of the leak, the car certainly shouldn't be driven with such a bad leak and will need attending to.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello,i have arranged for a mechanic to come out. On average though, how much would a new radiator cost do you know?Kind regards

The radiator is around £80m-£110 plus the new coolant and the labour is a two hour job, so depending on the labour rate about £250 with the VAT, but of it may be just a hose, there are many parts that can cause the leak, hopefully its one of the cheaper ones.

I hope all goes well fro you.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello,so do i. You've been very helpful.Good day.Kind regards

Steve