sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

On start up, the headlights on my A5 dip down & back up. A

Customer Question

On start up, the headlights on my A5 dip down & back up. A short while back, during this procedure, the offside unit went down but did not come back up - what is the likely problem & fix please ? The actual headlight is still working but pointing at the road.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: I looked at the manual for the fuses & what is in the car does not correspond to the pictures in the manual
JA: What year is your A5?
Customer: 14 plate
JA: Are you fixing your A5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Years ago I would have done it myself but 69 now so not so agile.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks
Category: Audi
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologise for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer, do you have any warning light lit?
Have you recently done maintenance to the battery and alternator?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem with battery or alternator. No warning light lit.
Just the problem with the one headlamp doing its initial flourish which went down on one occasion & stayed down ever since. Have not been able to check fuses as layout in car do not match information in manual supplied with car. Is this likely to be a fuse problem ?

Dear customer, I apologize for my delay to get back to you.
Just around 2014 onwards came two types of Audi models. The Audi implemented a sensory system to night driving close to these years, which means that receiving a light directly in front of you, the low beams are activated illuminating the lower road is a system that could bring certain problems in the long run because the sensors over time could be damaged by causing the lights to always be fixed towards the ground at low level without activating the high beams.

If your model has this type of system the problem will be at the electronic or sensory level and for this, a configuration problem in the electronic system should be ruled out first, basically you should start with a computerized diagnosis to restore the initial configuration of the vehicle, In order to correct this quickly, but if the problem continues, the sensor located near the windshield should be checked and it will most likely have to be replaced.

But if your Audi did not come with this type of system, the problem is simply that the high beams have burned out. Your Audi has two types of lights, one high and one low, what could have happened is that for these 6 years of use the life of the bulbs has ended, therefore you will need to replace the headlight bulb for this you have to remove the headlight will proceed to disassemble remove the headlights go buy them for samples because only a specific type of headlight for each type of Audi serves, now I would recommend you order them without first proceeding to buy it according to the sample.

Do you understand me dear customer?
My goal is to give you the best experience possible that's why i am sorry for my delay! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you!
Kind regards.
Keep safe, Sebastian.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no problem with bulbs. The only thing that has gone wrong is this initialising cycle where the headlamps make a large movement down & then return to the dipped position, none of which your reply covers I'm afraid.

If you could then share a video or picture of the motion of the lights would be really helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This problem has already been resolved by the local Audi dealership - by contrast you are still asking for descriptions. I have also already cancelled my membership from just answer on the basis that you clearly don't have a clue.

Ok, i am glad you sorted out the problem. and i apologize sometimes just reading the description is not enough and as i am not with the vehicle is hard for us.
I apologize and i will request a refund for you as well as you did.