Phillip H
Phillip H, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

Nothing working on dashboard. Drove ok. Now the car starts

Nothing working on dashboard. Drove ok. Now the car starts but cuts out after a few seconds
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: This happened after an hours drive
JA: What is the model/year of your Audi?
Customer: Audi A3 02 plate. Yes headlights work
JA: Are you fixing your A3 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: wouldnt know where to start
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only that it was fine - dashboard stopped working as I drove along

Hiya

Is any part of the Instrument Cluster working at all? I would imagine the vehicle wouldn't run as I believe the Instrument Cluster is part of the Immboliser on these vehicles.

What is the registration number of the vehicle so I can confirm I have the correct wiring diagram.

Phillip

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Phillip,
The instrunent cluster is completely nonresponsive and the engine will start, but cut out immediately.
The reg is AO02 DGU,

Hiya

Thank you for that information. I'm hoping I have the correct wiring diagram here. Have you checked any of the fuses? I would start with Fuse 37 which should be in the Fuse Box that is located behind the panel just inside one of the front doors. This should be a Red 10amp fuse and is the main Ignition Feed to the Instrument Cluster.

Phillip

Hiya

Following this if Fuse 37 is ok check Fuse 11 and Fuse 15 which should both be 5Amp fuses.

Phillip

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, according to the diagram in the manual, the fuse that should be fuse 37 seems to be an orange 5amp fuse. Is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Having said that, fuse 11 appears to be blown out

Hiya

I may not have quite the correct diagram. There should be at least 3 fuses for control of the Instrument Cluster. i have a diagram for the TDI not the PD version. I would check all of the fuses and go from there.

Phillip

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The manual claims number 11 is one for the instrument cluster, and its dead. Where would i go to get a replacement?

Hiya

There are certainly three fuses listed. You may find your local supermarket may have the correct fuse in a kit other than that Halfords or a local Car Parts factors such as Euro Car Parts or a local filling station may stock spares.

Phillip

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
replacing the fuse will fix the problem?

Hiya

As a temporary measure you could take the 5Amp fuse out of Fuse 3 which should be the fog lamps and place that in Fuse 11.

Hopefully it may cure the problem.

Phillip

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, i replaced fuse 11 with the intact fuse 3, and the problem is still there

Hiya

Go through the other fuses as well in case there is more than one fuse blown.

Phillip

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When i put fuse 3 into fuse 11s space, it blew out immediately. How do i stop it doing that?

Hiya

This means that there is a dead short somewhere in the wiring or one of the components that this fuse feeds. I'll be about an hour and I will get back to you with a diagram and some ideas.

Phillip

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Phillip,
Any idea what i can do to get this fixed yet?

Hiya

Please find attached the wiring diagram for the Instrument Cluster on your vehicle.

Fuse 11 feeds a number of things including the Alternator, Handbrake Warning Lamp, Glow Plug Warning and the Instrument Control Module. It will be a case of going through each of these and disconnecting them until the fuse stops blowing. If it still blows with all of these disconnected it could be the wiring between the Fuse and the Instrument Cluster or a short within the Fuse Box itself.

Phillip