Phillip H
Phillip H,
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

AUDI A4 B6 2.4 V6 FAULT CODES CYLINDER 1,2,3 MIS-FIRING

Customer Question

AUDI A4 B6 2.4 V6 FAULT CODES CYLINDER 1,2,3 MIS-FIRING DETECTED PERMANENT
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
2005 Audi A4 B6
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 2 months ago.

Expert:  Phillip H replied 2 months ago.

Hiya

The first thing I would ask is have you ever had the Spark Plugs replaced? I know it may sound starnge but if these havn't been replaced they may have been deteriorating for some time and thereofre it wouldn't be unusual to see multiple misfires.

If these have been replaced and are all ok then I would suggest that the coil pack would require checking. From memory it is one coil pack on these for all 6 cylinders and HT leads off it using the wasted spark principle. I would suggest that either the coil pack or the HT leads could be your problem.

Hope this helps

Phillip

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I replaced 6 spark Plugs & 6 New HT leads Yesterday
I Recently Serviced the car last week

Hiya

Has this only happened since you replaced these items? If it has I would suggest you recheck these items for damage (i.e. are plug gaps right / no arcing up side of plug etc).

If these check out ok then you have to be looking at Coil Pack / Engine Control Module Issues (i.e. is the coild pack performing as it should, is the Control Module sending the right signal.

You night be able to check the coil pack by measuring resistance across each pair of HV Terminals.

Phillip

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The car started loosing power whilst l was driving
Engine management light was flickering each time l will press the gas pedal more ,
So l drove back home parked the car checked the plugs
Cylinder 1,2,3misfiring plugs were a bit blackish “ only changed the plugs less than 20 miles ago
Cylinder 4,5,6 plugs were a bit wet also smelling fuel
Yesterday l tried to start the car last night also
It was popping kinda like firing back

Hiya

It strikes me then that Cylinder 4, 5 and 6 aren't firing at all hence the wet plugs and the heat in the exhaust is causing the popping noise.

I would start with the Coil Pack. Maybe install the HT lead checker such as these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spark-Plug-Tester-HT-Lead-Ignition-Test-Tool-Checker-4-PACK/121621717971?hash=item1c513823d3:g:oMoAAOSwp-RahI3l

They will flash each time a spark is present. If it doesn't flash then you know you have lost the HT Voltage. This would suggest the Coil Pack is faulty.

Phillip

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Philip I Replaced a new complete coil pack still the car didn't not start, l am suspecting the catalyst converter has failed ..
One question: if the catalyst converter fails will it prevent the car from starting?

Hiya

A Catalytic Converter doesn't usually prevent the vehicle from starting unless it is totally blocked! Before spending money on this drop the downpipes off the manifold and see if it starts!

If it starts then potentially it has got a blocked CAT. If it still doesn't start then it is probably ok and would have to look elsewhere. Are you getting a spark at each plug now?

Phillip

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i am getting Spark now, managed to get the car running yesterday only for 4 minutes before it cuts off, after that it wouldn't start again

Hiya

If it starts and runs for 4 minutes I would suspect that potentially it is something that is getting hot and breaking down causing it to cut out. Maybe fuel pump or something like that.

Does the vehicle restart straight away or do you have to wait a while before it will restart?

I don't think it will be the CAT as if they are blocked it will be a constant thing. I wouldn't think heat will affect it causing it block up.

Phillip

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi there
today the car started nice n easy 1st kick and only lasted for 5 mins before cut off
notice its only firing on passenger side bank cylinder 4,5,6
only a bit of smoke coming out from the left side exhaust... nothing is happening from the other exhaust which is the right hand side exhaust on cylinder 1,2,3, no firing that side at all...am gonna try and remove both the front o2 sensor or drop the cats see what happens after...
Expert:  Phillip H replied 1 month ago.

Hiya

That sounds like a good place to start.

If you require any further advice after this then let me know.

Phillip