Phillip H
Phillip H,
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

How can I repair the 5f MMI selector switch IN MY 2017

How can I repair the 5f MMI selector switch IN MY 2017 Q3....2.0 TFSI
JA: Are you fixing your Q3 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Been to AUDI garage today, stupid money. Bought 6 months ago as approved Audi from dealer, MMI button pushed right into face of 5f, they say excessive force so not covered under warranty. I say, could have happened by previous owner and been bodged back together....either way, neither can prove so looks like I’m the one stuck with the bill......
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: can just the part be replaced or does it need whole new face plate

Hiya

This unit can only be replaced as a complete unit. There are no user changable parts available. Unfortunatly being Audi they are extremely expensive! You may find a second hand unit available in a breakers yard from an accident damaged vehicle but other than this there isn't much option other than to have a new one.

Phillip

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Dealer told me has to be right part number unit, how do I find what is in mine? Also told me there is a repair kit which basically comprised of the face plate, or 5f is housed in??

Hiya

There will either be a label on the unit with the part number or it will be etched onto the part somewhere. Usually a 9 character code for VAG part numbers.

Phillip

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I need to remove the unit......I assume a replacement will then need coding to the vehicle.....

Hiya

Often units do need codeing to the vehicle with all VAG vehicles. Being in efect a switch unit I don't think it will require coding

Phillip