CarDoc
CarDoc, Mechanic
Experience:  IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
105313175

Our Audi Q7 keeps cutting out. Had injectors and ecu tested,

Customer Question

Hi our Audi Q7 keeps cutting out. Had injectors and ecu tested, not that. Not sure what it could be? There is water in the footwell sometimes. Thanks
JA: What year is your Q7?
Customer: 2006
JA: Are you fixing your Q7 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No it’s been into a garage, they don’t know what it could be. It’s had the injectors and the ecu tested. The mechanic said he thinks it’s electrical and can not do anything else with it.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I think that’s it.
Category: Audi
Expert:  CarDoc replied 15 days ago.

Hi, How are you?
I'm Shabaz, one of the automotive experts, I'm sorry you're experiencing problems with your car, I will do my best to help you today.

Which footwell collects the water? Also, what is the engine size and fuel type?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi the water is in the drivers side. It’s a 3 litre diesel.Thanks
Expert:  CarDoc replied 15 days ago.

Does the car have a sunroof?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It’s coming through the bonnet to the footwell
Expert:  CarDoc replied 15 days ago.

Have you checked the drains? If you spill water at the edges of the screen (don't spill any on the floor), you should see it dripping down by the wheel arch. You can check the sunroof drains by using a syringe and inject water into the drain pipe and again, it should be dripping under the car. Water getting into the car can cause all sorts of electrical problems, mainly corrosion of electrical connectors.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
it’s definitely something along those lines. We’ve got it booked into a car electrician Tuesday. Is it expensive to have the connectors fixed?
Expert:  CarDoc replied 15 days ago.

It depends on the extent of the corrosion or water damage. The connectors can just be cleaned with electrical contact cleaner and put back together, what you will be charged for, is the time taken to find the problem, that will come under labour cost which varies from garage to garage £25 - £55 per hour.

I hope this helps. Thank you for visiting Just Answer.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok thank you. Can they be replaced if they can not be cleaned?
Expert:  CarDoc replied 15 days ago.

Welcome. Replacement can get very expensive because of the wiring loom cost and where that specific loom travels in the car (if the tech has to start removing half the panels in the car, it will get expensive). Water damage is mostly isolated to connectors and maybe some of the loom close to the connector which can be repaired.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
How expensive could it get?
Expert:  CarDoc replied 15 days ago.

That's going to depend on what hourly rate the electrician is charging because it's purely labour and not really a parts cost because you can get the loom from a breakers yard if needed.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
That’s great thanks for your help.
Expert:  CarDoc replied 15 days ago.

I'm glad I was able to help. Thank you for visiting JustAnswer. Have a great evening!