Steve
Steve, Technician
Experience:  Garage owner for thirty years
106618989

Just bought a used Audi Q5. It has 3 well-worn Bridgestone

Just bought a used Audi Q5. It has 3 well-worn Bridgestone tyres plus a new one of another make and tread pattern on near-side front. Before I buy a new set of tyres will that have damaged the Quattro system?
JA: Have you bought the tires yet?
Customer: No
JA: What year is your Q5?
Customer: 2015
JA: Are you fixing your Q5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've done nothing - only just discovered the different tyres!
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Good afternoon and thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade, hopefully I can help.

Whilst ideally the tyres should all be of equal diameter to protect and imbalance in the operation of the Quattro system, there is a certain amount of tolerance built into the transfer box and differentials to allow for worn tyres.

The system used on the later quattro is also far more tolerant than that on earlier systems.

So whilst I would never advocate fitting one tyre as has occurred, you should not have any ongoing problems once the tyres have all been replaced.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread. I want to ensure you are happy with the answer so do please just reply to this thread with any further details you require.

Thank you for using Just Answer

Steve