Steve
Steve, Technician
Experience:  Garage owner for thirty years
106618989

I have a audi s5 convertible b8 2010 euro model and the roof

Customer Question

I have a audi s5 convertible b8 2010 euro model and the roof and the rear windscreen defroster and the window button in the middle has stopped working. I got it scanned and says no power to convertible top control moduel. Do you know where its located on the car?
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: Consistent like the buttons do nothing anymore but only for those three functions. Everything else works as it should
JA: Are you fixing your S5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well I'm no mechanic but thought Íde give it a go as no one in my area wants to look at it. It like they are afraid because it's a convertable.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I just had a new tcu put in the transmission so don't know if that has a ythi g to do with it either
Category: Audi
Expert:  Steve replied 13 days ago.

Welcome to JA. My name is***** am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade. I will be happy to assist you today. Hopefully we can get this resolved quickly.
You will receive an offer of a phone call by the system, this only needs to be accepted if you wish to speak to me, I can otherwise continue to answer your questions via the thread.

The convertible top control module is located in the boot area to the right hand side (looking forward on the vehicle) behind the trim.

I have attached a diagram showing the location, the module is number 9 on the diagram.

I hope this answers your question but I want you to be 100% happy with the answer so do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread.
Thank you for using Just Answer
Steve

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks. And also if you can help me further, this is the code that's coming up when I got it scanned. 00830 if you could tell me what that is I would greatly appreciate it
Expert:  Steve replied 13 days ago.

Hi, yes no problem.

The code translates to 00830 controller for  manipulation -J256

J256 is the convertible control module, the fault indicates a CANbus or VANbus fault. The module or the connections could be the problem.

The first move would be to locate the module and check the integrity of the conector. Ensure that there is no damp in the area and that the connector plugs are clean and dry.

Steve

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks Steve I'm gonna have a look at it around lunch time and I'll get back to you if I have any more questions about it or problems getting it out of the car
Expert:  Steve replied 13 days ago.

Yes just reply to this thread and I will get back to you when I am notified.

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 13 days ago.

It was a pleasure to assist you today. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.
Steve