Gavin Perry
Gavin Perry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
105804848

Got an Audi TT 03 with abs/traction control light on... sent

Customer Question

Hi... got an Audi TT 03 with abs/traction control light on... sent ecu/abs unit off to a well known tester and came back all ok.... no scanner will communicate with the braking system so now unable to bleed brakes or communicate after refitting the ecu.... the vehicle has been with Audi and their system will not even communicate and they have advised me to collect the vehicle as they want another £600 to carry out further investigation .... wits end now
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: Abs and esp
JA: Are you fixing your TT yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i work at a garage and they removed the ecu... the car drove fine previously but required an MOT (which wouldn’t have passed with the lights on the dash)... Audi say there is no communication so unable to now bleed the brakes
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no... just no communication to brake system
Category: Audi
Expert:  Gavin Perry replied 13 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am here to assist you Today was the ECU/module sent to ECUtesting.com

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi it was sent to BBA reman

They always come back as not faulty and they are easy to diagnose. Have you got a Bosch approved independent near you put your postcode in workshop finder and let me know http://www.boschcarservice.com

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Bond Street car service... car is not driveable though as can’t bleed brakes and it’s stuck at Audi without recovery

The brakes will still bleed ok you need to get it recovered then get it away from that dealership they are just taking money of you.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
They have agreed not to charge me £120 as they have been crap from day one and advised me I needed two new tyres when it only went in for a diagnostic!! The brakes won’t bleed as no communication... tried about 10 different scanners but none pick up the braking system. Why did you recommend the Bosch place?

I owned a Bosch approved independent and i had to deal with the clowns at BBA reman quite a few times and main dealers like you have right now.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
you think the ECU needs retesting?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Cost £95 for no fault found lol

The ECU is made by Bosch hence use an independent Bosch workshop they will diagnose it properly i would say it needs a new ECU as it is a common issue.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Back to square one then... will be having words with BBA if Bosch find a fault and will get my money back. Don’t even like the car
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Oh and a new ECU is £1500... car not even worth that... suppose no point in buying second hand is there ?

You can not fit a used one as once it is programmed to your car that is it.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Scrapyard springs to mind

That is up to you avoid main dealers in the future they are all front and basically an expensive free coffee.