Phillip H
Phillip H, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

ECP LIGHT COMING ON AND OFTEN DOFFICULT TO START, The ECP

Customer Question

ECP LIGHT COMING ON AND OFTEN DOFFICULT TO START
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: The ECP LIGHT ON MY DASH IF ITS BEEN DIFFICULT TO START. BUT THEN THE LIGHT GOES OUT BUT DOES GO OFF AND ON
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Audi A5 2.0 tfsi coupe petrol
JA: What year is your A5?
Customer: 2010
JA: Are you fixing your A5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Had a timing chain and tensioner replaced last year
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
At times the engine management light comes on, but then goes off after a while on 3 occasions I've also had a green warning light come on telling me not to exceed 4000rpm. The stop start facility is telling me its got a fault and is not working. But I normally turn it off anyway. The car drives well and responds ok.
Expert:  Phillip H replied 8 days ago.

Hiya

The first stage of diagnosis will be a full Diagnostic Code Read using Audi approved Diagnostic Equipment.  It is preferable to use Audi Equipment as it places any fault codes in order of diagnostic preference.  Once you have these fault codes a diagnostic path can then be established.

The EPC light is in effect a warning that there is a problem with the Electronic Control System.  It could be a sensor failure, wiring issues or a module issue.  Without the first stage of the Full Diagnostic Code Read it will be impossible to proceed any further.

Phillip