Gavin Perry
Gavin Perry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
105804848

Audi A3 1.9tdi 09 plate. Engine management light came on,

Customer Question

Audi A3 1.9tdi 09 plate. Engine management light came on, got breakdown out, mechanic found air intake hose had popped free. Put it back and I drove home 90mins on B roads with no issue. Took car out week later, went 4 miles and light came back on so turned and went home. Light now not coming on but local garage screened and said diagnostics showed 2 possible issues. Air intake fault or turbo fault. What can I do now?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: No noise and two weeks, only 2 journeys done.
JA: Are you fixing your A3 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: As specified above
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Category: Audi
Expert:  Gavin Perry replied 15 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am here to assist you Today how is the vehicle drivability when the light comes on.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Light didn’t come on and no “limp home” mode. Seems fine to drive at mo.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No call thanks, ***** ***** please

As the pipe had come off that could be the reason for the codes have the codes cleared and drive it and monitor it for a while as a Turbo issue would of put it in limp mode.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I’m meant to be going long journey on sat, now scared. How would I know if it was turbo issue? Is there anything I can do to try to get light back on if it’s turbo? I had cambelt and water pump changed days before first incident. Went into limp mode then when air pipe popped.

They did not put the boost pipe on properly after the timing belt work sometimes they do pop off after work has been carried out the images show what the issue is on modern diesel engines regarding turbo charger sticking vanes.

To put your mind at ease you could buy an OBD2 code reader then you can check for codes yourself see image.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I’m sorry, I don’t understand your last answer. Does the boost pipe connect to the turbo?

Yes it does it will of been removed during the timing belt work they are held on with a very weak large C clip.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
How big a job is it to fix this?

It will of been re checked when you had it back at the garage.

example image.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have warranty so only got diagnostics done. Warranty states turbo covered except inter cooler, waste gate and oil seals. Would warranty apply here?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Had cambelt done myself as precaution cos had not been changed and had done 69000 miles

When did you buy the vehicle.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
April 2021

Is it a 3rd party warranty you have.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
warrantywise.co.uk silver cover

It was / is covered by the dealer by law for 3000 miles or 3 months what ever comes first they put a 3rd party warranty on to try to get out of the law if that makes sense. Regarding warranty wise have you got a shredder.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Yeah, kinda thought that! So square one again, to fix boost pipe would same dismantling of engine need to happen as was done for changing cambelt or can this pipe be fixed without having to disconnect loads to get access to it?

You would be able to get to it.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Easily? Don’t want to trust same guy if loads of pipes, hoses etc weren’t replaced properly during cambelt change or if this has caused them to break.

You could have it checked by another garage.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Tried but all busy til next week. Need to go to Dumfries on sat, 3.5 hrs each way on shit B roads. If boost pipe is issue, is it visible to layman without removing lots of bits and if can’t get fixed, is it possible to make journey without doing damage? Ie driving under 60mph or anything so boost maybe not needed?

You will be able to put the pipe back on and keep it off full throttle.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
When you say off full throttle, does that mean putting pipe back on is temp fix?

No it needs checking when you can get it checked.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sorry, that’s what I meant. Could this be done for sat until I can get someone to fix properly next week?

you could try http://www.boschcarservice.com put your post code in workshop finder.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Shame I live in Scottish Borders, nearest place on Bosch site is 60 miles away. Thanks anyway

No problem regards Gavin.