Kevin
Kevin, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at Kemsing motor company
84635724

My mk1 225 quattro I keep bleeding my brakes but when I turn

Customer Question

My mk1 225 quattro I keep bleeding my brakes but when I turn the key my pedal is spundge an my abs light is coming on
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: Yes there is a warning ⚠️light on the left an a abs on the right
JA: What year is your Quattro?
Customer: It's a 2001 MM51ZSL
JA: Are you fixing your Quattro yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just been repeating bleeding it
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Only wot I've told you
Category: Audi
Expert:  Kevin replied 22 days ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is***** am a vehicle master tech located in the UK and I will do my best to assist you. During this conversation, you will be given an automated offer for a phone call. You may accept or decline that offer. I don’t personally offer this service so if you take this another tech may call I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. Don’t worry though, we’ll be able to figure this out. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem. My aim is to give you the best service possible and to help you. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible. Can I first ask who I have the pleasure of speaking with today, please?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
cock
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Something has gone wrong here you have taken £28 pounds and it said I only had to pay £5 and now its saying I owe to make a phone call????
Expert:  Kevin replied 22 days ago.
Hi Kim I hope you are well, I’m sorry to hear your brakes are giving you grief and will do my best to assist . Do the brakes only go spongey with engine running ?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
the brakes only go spondge when the car is runnig
Expert:  Kevin replied 22 days ago.
Okay. And did this just start all of a sudden or after some work was carried out ?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
The light was coming on abt a week after i changed the brakes all round and before my mot I started to bleed the brakes
Expert:  Kevin replied 22 days ago.
Ok so they weren’t spongey before starting to bleed them ?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
but they go hard when bleeding them until I turn the key I don't know weather I need to change the master cylinder or wot ???
Expert:  Kevin replied 22 days ago.
Ok so if there was no issue before it’s likely there is an issue with a small amount of air trapped in the system . Some of these has a bleed nipple on the end of the master cylinder because they were so common for trapping air in the master cylinder and it would ably really be noticeable when the engine is running because the brake servo multiplies the pressure on the pedal
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I don't have a bleed nipple on the front could it be a case of changing the master cylinder??
Expert:  Kevin replied 22 days ago.
It could be yes but if the issue wasn’t there prior to bleeding it’s unlikely to have failed. Are you bleeding the brakes manually or with a pressure bleeder?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Manually then with a pressure bleeder
Expert:  Kevin replied 22 days ago.
Ok so again you have covered both bases. So on this it would point very strongly to the seals inside the master cylinder weeping under the extra pressure and replacing it would be the first place to start
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Thank you I will be able to change it tomorrow an I will get back to you after I have fitted an bled the brakes again thank kevin
Expert:  Kevin replied 22 days ago.
Your very welcome