CarDoc
CarDoc, Mechanic
Experience:  IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
105313175

Clutch pedal stays down, No I wasn’t until that happened I

Customer Question

Clutch pedal stays down
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: No I wasn’t until that happened I was getting off the freeway
JA: What is the model/year of your Audi?
Customer: 07 A3 wagon
JA: Are you fixing your A3 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I’ve changed the master
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I can think of
Category: Audi
Expert:  CarDoc replied 14 days ago.

Hi, How are you?
I'm Shabaz, one of the automotive experts. I will be happy to assist you today. Hopefully we can get this resolved quickly.

You will be prompted for a phone call by the automated system, only accept this if we can't resolve the issue through messaging, otherwise we can continue our conversation on the message thread.

When the clutch pedal stays down, it means that you have air in the clutch fluid system or the slave cylinder has failed. If the slave cylinder is leaking, you will see the clutch fluid seeping out where the gearbox meets the engine block when looking from under the engine bay.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I don’t see any leaks when I changed the master no fluid came out when I took the hose of it
Expert:  CarDoc replied 14 days ago.

You will need to bleed the clutch system, there will be a bleed screw at the slave cylinder. You lift and press the clutch pedal 10 times by hand and when the clutch pedal is down, a second person needs to crack off the bleed screw, to let the air out. Repeat this 3 times or until you have only fluid coming out of the bleed screw.

Expert:  CarDoc replied 14 days ago.

If you have any further questions or updates regarding this issue, feel free to message me by replying on this message thread.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you're satisfied with my assistance, your feedback is appreciated.

Thank you for visiting Just Answer.