Kevin
Kevin, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at Kemsing motor company
84635724

The emissions light has been on (about 3 years on and off).

The emissions light has been on (about 3 years on and off). We have had the accelerator pedal changed and the light stayed off for a few weeks and then came back on. The garage did a diagnostic check and can't find the problem switched the light off again. It stayed off for a few weeks and then came back on. Suggested the problem was with the computer?
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: It is an orange light, the book says it is the emissions symbol.
JA: What is the model/year of your Audi?
Customer: 2014
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It has been to 3 different garages over the past 3 years, no-one has been able to fix it.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The car runs perfectly well and always has, its just an annoyance which is now an MOT issue, so hence the question.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is***** am a vehicle master tech located in the UK and I will do my best to assist you. During this conversation, you will be given an automated offer for a phone call. You may accept or decline that offer. I don’t personally offer this service so if you take this another tech may call I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. Don’t worry though, we’ll be able to figure this out. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem. My aim is to give you the best service possible and to help you. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible. Can I first ask who I have the pleasure of speaking with today, please?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Baronie
Hi Baronie I hope you are doing well. I’m really sorry to hear you have engine management light issues especially after paying for repairs already, I totally understand how frustrating this can be. Do you know what faults are stored?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I am not aware of any faults stored.
Ok so when the light comes on it’s because faults are stored in the system . Your garage is using a computer to read them and when they reset it all they are doing is deleting the code. Is there any way you can get them from your garage ?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
My brother (250 miles away) is a mechanic and sorted it last - I have just spoken to him and he doesn't have the code to hand, but he has offered to sort it out for me. Sorry to waste your time.
If the accelerator pedal was replaced it’s likely the fault is in this circuit so the wiring to and from the pedal should be tested . Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!