sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

A5 sportback boot won’t open unless key is in the ignotion,

Customer Question

A5 sportback boot won’t open unless key is in the ignotion
JA: Is the key stripped or worn?
Customer: Nope
JA: What year is your A5?
Customer: 2012
JA: Are you fixing your A5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothinb just yet
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The soft touch handle only works with key in ignition
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
When the key fob is pressed to open the boot, red light on fob flashes multiple times and the cars hazards flash briefly
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
But no boot release at all. I have to insert key into car and only then can I open the boot with the handle
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 18 days ago.

Dear customer my name is***** the expert who will attend you today, I am reviewing your query at the moment you are viewing this message, if you wish you can tell me your name, to know who I have the pleasure to talk to, also if possible I would like you to send me a photo or video in which your fault is better appreciated, it would help a lot to improve my final answer. If you have done a previous check or diagnosis in which you have obtained any error codes, that would also be helpful. Please note that the system will automatically offer you a service call, this has an additional cost to the initial cost of the consultation, and not in all cases it is necessary, so I recommend you to dispense with the call for now, we can continue through this chat without any problem. Thank you very much for trusting in the just answer.

Dear customer, did this problem start recently?

Dear customer, I invite you to check the settings you have set in the MMI. To do this you must enter Car and in the option of opening doors or something like that you get the boot to take it always closed or to open it manually. In any case with the key pressed for a few seconds it should open, if the signal does not arrive it is likely that the mechanism is presenting a fault at the actuator level, however I would like to give more details about whether the other doors work normally, so we could rule out a fault in the central locking or electrical level.

Dear customer, it is my pleasure to serve you. You may wish to mark me as a favourite expert for future reference. I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert. You will have the option to do so on your "My Questions" page or you can request me by name on the site if you wish. My name is @Exp-JoseSebas Thank you for trusting Justanswer.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I’ve played with mmi settings to remove boot lock etc and. I thing changed. I think there’s an electrical fault. Potentially water ingress I have read?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The doors lock and unlock, open and close fine

Dear customer no doubt moisture on the contacts could generate something similar but it rarely affects only one door and would require a somewhat higher exposure, have you noticed signs of this moisture on any other component?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No signs of moisture that I have seen. I am tempted to remove the trim and inspect cables and connectors leading the the boot lock and control module for it

Dear customer it is a good option, if you are sure of the steps you have taken in the configuration, sometimes these system failures can be related to incorrectly recorded data and would merit a reset of the values from a diagnostic unit.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
That was my second thought, where I get diagnostics connected and settings checked. Would an Audi specialist be able to do this or only a mainstream audi dealership

Yes dear customer, an audi specialist could do this, as they have diagnostic equipment with audi software.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you. I will do this when I’m next off work.

Perfect dear customer, I will be always attentive.